Page 3 of 126 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: ZLib -- Zarqon's useful function library

installed this and now get the following error when trying to use FirstThingsFirst.ash

Code:
    Unknown variable 'threshold' (FirstThingsFirst.ash, line 77)

Have patience -- I'll have all the updated scripts up within a few hours, I should expect.

For an immediate quick fix, replace instances of "threshold" with:

to_int(vars["threshold"])
    Sig by JakAtk
    My scripts: Prefref Plus | One-Click Wossname | Om******t (??) | Psychose-a-Matic | RandBot
    Combat suite: Best Between Battle | Mer********d (?!) | SmartStasis | BatMan | BatMan RE
    For script authors: ASH Wiki | ZLib | BatBrain | CLI Links | CanAdv | Script Registry | Map Manager | About Bats
    If you appreciate my work, help me become BAT KING OF THE WORLD! Thanks to all donators!

WOO! This rocks!

Suggestion: In the map file, include with each setting:
    * the name of the script that initially set it
    * the date it was originally set
    * the name of the script that accessed it last
    * the date it was last accessed.
    That should go a long way towards the problem of "does anything use this setting any more, and if not, can I delete it".

Yippitee skippity!

As dj_d says. It would be nice to be able to tell at a glance "does anything use this setting any more, and if not, can I delete it".
    If people like my scripts, please send me stuffed Hodgmen.
    Universal Recovery, OCD Inventory Control, CounterChecker, newLife, ChIT.

If you aren't sure it's used by anything, just delete it. A script that uses that setting will just reset it to the default value next time it's run.

I have plans in the wings for some kind of online user-editable documentation, where script authors and users alike can add which scripts use which settings and what they do. Users will also be able to edit their settings online (where the documentation is) and fetch that edited map from the server. This release has taken my scripting energy for the nonce, so don't expect it in the immediate future.
    Last edited by zarqon; 07-25-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Sig by JakAtk
    My scripts: Prefref Plus | One-Click Wossname | Om******t (??) | Psychose-a-Matic | RandBot
    Combat suite: Best Between Battle | Mer********d (?!) | SmartStasis | BatMan | BatMan RE
    For script authors: ASH Wiki | ZLib | BatBrain | CLI Links | CanAdv | Script Registry | Map Manager | About Bats
    If you appreciate my work, help me become BAT KING OF THE WORLD! Thanks to all donators!

I knew you could put it on a server! I had faith!

If you aren't sure it's used by anything, just delete it. A script that uses that setting will just reset it to the default value next time it's run.

You dramatically underestimate the OCDfactor of your colleagues here. I am already concerned that, right this very minute, I MIGHT HAVE SOME EXTRA SETTINGS THAT I DON'T NEED. Or even worse, I might DELETE A SETTING THAT WAS OPTIMAL AND REVERT TO AN INFERIOR DEFAULT!!!

I hate to shout, but this is our collective sanity on the line. Or over the line.

That was actually one of my design considerations. I originally designed a record for settings that included the script using the setting. But I realized that several things about the implementation were better simpler, and decided to leave the calling script information out of it, and use the script prefix idea: callingscript_settingname.

I also knew that I could trust my fellow OCD script authors to keep the settings file organized by following the naming conventions I wrote about at length in the above post.
    Sig by JakAtk

Sorry for what I'm sure has been a flurry of annoying popups lately. This (Build 4) should be the last of the semi-unnecessary ones! The new system seems fairly stable. Any further popups will be due to bugfixes or Super Awesome Things, both of which are quite necessary.
    Sig by JakAtk

My $0.02: Better to have a setting with a clear parent that is also incidentally accessed by something else, than a setting with no clear parent. If a script attempts to set the default, it should claim it with a prefix; if others want to access it, that's OK. That way every setting has a connection to the script that set it, and you have a chance in hell to figure out what it's for.

So basically, I'd recommend doing away with "common settings" and give them all a prefix - the script which created the setting.

(that's what I'm doing for my scripts, anyway!)