Page 123 of 125 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1250

Thread: ZLib -- Zarqon's useful function library

As far as I can tell vprops are just mafia properties with the defaults cooked in to each script. So it will work, although as far as Prefref Plus is concerned it will treat the property as not having a default, since we cant possibly load every script to look for those defaults.

Please modify zlib to honor mafia's svn update settings. When SourceForge goes down you have to edit zlib.ash and remove the checks for updates that it runs.

Please modify zlib to honor mafia's svn update settings. When SourceForge goes down you have to edit zlib.ash and remove the checks for updates that it runs.
    Originally Posted by Magus_Prime View Post
    I don't even know how to do that, share please? Also, batbrain etc. I just completely cut out the SVN section to the end of the check for updates section, then had the same error for batbrain. Had no idea how many of my background scripts are dependent upon sourceforge being up and running, so turning on my auto attack seems to have side-stepped the situation for now. Sharing in case anyone else is as clueless as I am about .ash scripts and runs into the same problem.

Please modify zlib to honor mafia's svn update settings.
    Do you mean svnUpdateOnLogin? I guess ZLib's version checking is completely unnecessary for users who have set that to true, since all versions would have already been checked.

The next revision (which I'll commit whenever SourceForge goes back up) will skip SVN version checking for users who have already automatically updated SVN.
    Sig by JakAtk
    My scripts: Prefref Plus | One-Click Wossname | Om******t (??) | Psychose-a-Matic | RandBot
    Combat suite: Best Between Battle | Mer********d (?!) | SmartStasis | BatMan | BatMan RE
    For script authors: ASH Wiki | ZLib | BatBrain | CLI Links | CanAdv | Script Registry | Map Manager | About Bats
    If you appreciate my work, help me become BAT KING OF THE WORLD! Thanks to all donators!

The next revision (which I'll commit whenever SourceForge goes back up) will skip SVN version checking for users who have already automatically updated SVN.
    Originally Posted by zarqon View Post
    Thank you.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I agree with frono.
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards

Thank you! I would advocate one tweak: Don't update at all if svnUpdateonLogin is not set. The problem when SourceForge goes down is, mostly, fixable by disabling SVN updates on login but then zlib comes along and wants to check everything that calls zlib, in addition to itself. What ended up happening this morning went something like this:

1. Login
    2. See that SourceForge is down
    3. Flip the SVN preference to NOT auto-update on login
    4. Log out and then back in
    5. Start adventuring
    6. Zlib tries to update itself
    7. Edit Zlib to remove that check
    8. Adventure again
    9. Zlib tries to update BBB
    10. Scream
    11. Edit Zlib to rip out all the checks
    12. Back to adventuring
    Last edited by Magus_Prime; 09-28-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Do you mean svnUpdateOnLogin? I guess ZLib's version checking is completely unnecessary for users who have set that to true, since all versions would have already been checked.

Originally Posted by zarqon View Post
    Also please _svnUpdated (which is true even after issuing a successful manual svn update).

Moreover, I would say that automatic updates are actively harmful, unless you can guarantee that new versions of zlib never use any mafia features newer than latest point release.

@xKiv: Yep, that's how I did it (note wording above). r36 should hopefully spell the end of frustrating update issues when a host goes down (assuming mafia still sets _svnUpdated to true; and if not, you can).

Harmful to whom? Error reports due to using an out-of-date version of one of my scripts have dwindled to nearly nonexistent. My scripts also take advantage of the "since" command to avoid problems caused by using a non-current build of mafia.

Automatic updates are admittedly heavy-handed and I generally dislike and disable them as a rule on software I use. In this case, they are there for my sanity. I can forgive myself for the heavy-handedness given that 1) they're not baked into a piece of compiled software but are in an easily-editable script, and ii) anyone savvy enough to disable them is also savvy enough to try updating the script before reporting an error. It also fits philosophically with my desire to promote discourse in the language of ASH rather than single-author products discussed without reference to code, but that's an entirely different can of worms altogether.
    Sig by JakAtk
    My scripts: Prefref Plus | One-Click Wossname | Om******t (??) | Psychose-a-Matic | RandBot
    Combat suite: Best Between Battle | Mer********d (?!) | SmartStasis | BatMan | BatMan RE
    For script authors: ASH Wiki | ZLib | BatBrain | CLI Links | CanAdv | Script Registry | Map Manager | About Bats
    If you appreciate my work, help me become BAT KING OF THE WORLD! Thanks to all donators!

I understand the desire to reduce insanity caused by out-of-date versions. Would you be willing to entertain the addition of a, non-default, variable that instructs your auto-update to stop running? Perhaps with a warning printed to the gCLI?

I understand the desire to reduce insanity caused by out-of-date versions. Would you be willing to entertain the addition of a, non-default, variable that instructs your auto-update to stop running? Perhaps with a warning printed to the gCLI?
    As a control freak with a misguided belief in efficiency, insanity is having at least three different ways of checking for updates, two of which are not controlled by user settings. Zarqon and I have agreed to disagree on this point.

I confess to enjoying the smug sense of self-righteous indignation when I can respond to a bug report with "are you running the latest version?" so I am quite content to let the user decide how and when to upgrade, but since none of my scripts are widely used, this doesn't happen often enough to become annoying.

But any solution that stops trying to update (until rollover) after the first failed attempt to update will be fine with me.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    I agree with frono.
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards