Hurray for Swing. Really tiny data entry fields.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Brand new Windows 10 computer. I installed DropBox (to get my KoLmafia playing environment) and the latest Java 8. I fired up mafia and it was virtually unusable. Just about every display with dropdowns to change selections (login screen, equipment manager and maximizer are three that come immediately to mind) had text so tiny as to be barely legible and adjacent horizontal "lines" were overlapping. I replaced Java 8 with Java 7 and tried several resolutions with both versions and had the same problems. The problem does not exist with the same jar on the old machine so it is clearly something in my environment.

I recall some vague discussion about mafia and high resolution displays but I kind of ignored them because the day when I had 3840x2160 available seemed very far away (and now it is here).

Short term - is there a system setting that makes mafia better behaved?

Long term - with my usual habit of thinking the first thing I think of is the real problem, I am inclined to look at the layouts and sizes of these components. This feels like a configuration error (in code) where minimum sizes and desired sizes are not playing nicely. I'm inclined to look at this if only because the number of users who play on a PC with high resolution seems likely to increase.

I can't build or debug mafia on the new machine yet so there is some time before I start to do any damage. :)

Thanks.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
This is the previous discussion.

I expect that you are in the best position to work on any fixes that might be found/suggested. If nothing else, you can tinker with things until they help for you, and then post patches for others to make sure they don't horribly break things on older configurations.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
This is the previous discussion.

I expect that you are in the best position to work on any fixes that might be found/suggested. If nothing else, you can tinker with things until they help for you, and then post patches for others to make sure they don't horribly break things on older configurations.

Thank you. I am obviously motivated to look at this and since the new computer is this century's equivalent of a Gold Watch, I have time to do so.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
They gave you a new computer when you retired?

Actually it was a check that was large enough to cover a new machine. I tried to talk them into letting me keep the work computer but it was actually still on lease after several years.