Bug Effects that limit base stats confuse Mafia outfit switching

antimarty

If I have an effect that limits my base stats - e.g. Drenched in Lava, which limits base Muscle/Myst/Moxie to 30 - and I try to equip an outfit with higher stat requirements, mafia doesn't realize that the outfit switch failed. But I get proper error messages if I repeat the command. Example:

Code:
> outfit mirror

Putting on outfit: mirror
Equipment changed.

> outfit mirror

Putting on outfit: mirror
You don't have sufficient Mysticality to equip the beige clambroth marble in this outfit. (85 Mysticality required.)
You don't have sufficient Mysticality to equip the rubber cape in this outfit. (85 Mysticality required.)

Darzil

Developer
I saw something similiar, but not exactly the same. First time I ran it it only complained about one item, the second time about all of them. What were you wearing / what effects did you have, on the first wearing?

Code:
[8550] The Bubblin' Caldera
Encounter: Aaaaah! Aaaaaaaah!
You acquire an effect: Drenched in Lava (20)

> outfit dad outfit

Putting on outfit: Dad Outfit
You don't have sufficient Mysticality to equip the Scepter of Loathing in this outfit. (150 Mysticality required.)
Maximizing...
224 combinations checked, best score 56.00
Putting on stone baseball cap...
Equipment changed.
Wielding Staff of the Roaring Hearth...
Equipment changed.
Holding red wagon...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Buddy Bjorn...
Equipment changed.
Putting on red shirt...
Equipment changed.
Putting on lava-proof pants...
Equipment changed.
Putting on HOA zombie eyes...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Brimstone Bracelet...
Equipment changed.
Putting on moustache sock...
Equipment changed.
Maximizing...
224 combinations checked, best score 56.00

> outfit dad outfit

Putting on outfit: Dad Outfit
You don't have sufficient Muscle to equip the sea salt scrubs in this outfit. (85 Muscle required.)
You don't have sufficient Muscle to equip the Treads of Loathing in this outfit. (150 Muscle required.)
You don't have sufficient Mysticality to equip the Scepter of Loathing in this outfit. (150 Mysticality required.)
You don't have sufficient Moxie to equip the Belt of Loathing in this outfit. (150 Moxie required.)
You don't have sufficient Mysticality to equip the Goggles of Loathing in this outfit. (150 Mysticality required.)
You don't have sufficient Muscle to equip the Stick-Knife of Loathing in this outfit. (150 Muscle required.)
You don't have sufficient Moxie to equip the Jeans of Loathing in this outfit. (150 Moxie required.)
You don't have sufficient Mysticality to equip the old SCUBA tank in this outfit. (75 Mysticality required.)
You don't have sufficient Mysticality to equip the Pocket Square of Loathing in this outfit. (150 Mysticality required.)

antimarty

For my example, the key effect was Drenched in Lava (from the caldera) and the original outfit was:
Code:
bounty-hunting helmet
bottle-rocket crossbow
Jarlsberg's pan (Cosmic portal mode)
sea salt scrubs
Camp Scout backpack
Pantsgiving
Mr. Cheeng's spectacles
stinky cheese eye
sardine can key

and the target outfit was:
Code:
plexiglass pith helmet
depleted Grimacite kneecapping stick
beige clambroth marble
cane-mail shirt
rubber cape
Pantsgiving
tiny die-cast golden ring
V for Vivala mask
navel ring of navel gazing

But I've seen it with other situations, including wearing the Personal Ventilation Unit in the Conspiracy Island lab (limits your base stats).

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
As a note, while KoL won't let you equip the outfit (because your "base" stats are lowered by those effects), it will let you equip individual pieces (based on your actual base stats being high enough). So an extra feature (that I'm not motivated to look into right now at least) would be for KoLmafia to recognize that KoL will fail and equip items individually to work around the issue.