Item Manager Not Working/Loading

rodger_flint

So I stopped playing for a few months, and I decided I wanted to get back in time for this month's Challenge Path coming up. I also wanted to freshen up my Mafia so I downloaded the latest JAR build from builds.kolmafia. However, the Item Manager tab doesn't appear, and trying to get it on there displays an error message (on the CLI) "net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.ItemManageFrame could not be loaded".

Of note, though, KoLMafia 17.3.exe works just fine.

I tried downloading the exe and the latest jar into a brand new folder, but the same thing happens. I even attempted older builds and they all lack the Item Manager frame.

Anyone know what's going on here? I don't know if this is a bug or just my general incompetence :(

(EDIT: It appears other aspects of the jar files aren't working for me either. net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.ScriptManageFrame could not be loaded, net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.StoreManageFrame could not be loaded)

Last edited:

xKiv

I have no idea, so it could be anything from "your ISP is messing with your downloads, or you got one corrupted download and your browser cached it so aggresively that it refuses to download a clean version now", through "you are using unsupported/wrong version of java" or "this particular release was for some reason built with java/target set so that it won't work with yours", to "corrupted RAM", "not enough RAM" (total or free)

There was at leas one similar bug report already (http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?20178-Item-Manager-just-won-t-show-up ), but that just somehow stopped happening.

Do you have a DEBUG log file generated?
Can you try a .jar file downloaded from a different browser, then computer, and then location (using a different ISP)?

What's the *exact* size (and name) of one of the .jar files that don't work?

Last edited:

wertperch

... the Item Manager tab doesn't appear, and trying to get it on there displays an error message (on the CLI) "net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.ItemManageFrame could not be loaded".)

Having exactly the same issue with build 17000.

java version "1.7.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

I'm going to try to find the .exe and see if that fixes it.

Edit: The .exe works, as does r16996.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Having exactly the same issue with build 17000.

java version "1.7.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

I'm going to try to find the .exe and see if that fixes it.

Edit: The .exe works, as does r16996.

All the reports so far indicate a corrupt jar file due to a download problem. Record the size of the failing 17000 jar file, download r17000 again, perhaps not overwriting the bad version, and compare the sizes. If they are not the same then try the newer. If they are the same, report it and we'll try and think of something else.

wertperch

All the reports so far indicate a corrupt jar file due to a download problem.

For the past couple of weeks I've been using wget for every download, as the server seems to have developed the habit of closing the download prematurely. It's just not cricket.