Relay browser not working properly - Firefox, IE

VladYvhuce

I'm not sure exactly when this happened, but at some point, Mafia has decided to remove the Relay Browser's ability to do a number of things. I've tried updating Firefox, Java, Mafia, and Flash. I've tried removing all the scripts I typically use with Mafia. I've tried to figure out if I accidentally clicked something in the Mafia settings. I've tried using IE as the relay browser. None of that fixes the problem. KOL works properly in Firefox and IE when not using Mafia, however. Here's a list of what's going on:

1: Drop-down menus for inventory item sorting now do nothing. This applies to inventory, Hagnk's, and closet. Drop-downs for any other functions (options, map locations, crafting, etc.) seem to work properly, though.

2: The pyramid control panel won't rotate its image when using either a wheel or ratchet. If another is used, the page will reload, with the image one turn after where it should be (image only rotates 1 slot, while the chamber has rotated 2). The only way to re-sync the image with the proper position of the lower chamber is to exit the control room and re-enter.

3: Right-click menus are disabled in inventory, but work on some items gained during manual adventures.

4: Smash Party refuses to update after smashing one barrel. The Barrel Full Of Barrels still works, though.

5: Seemingly at random, the relay browser won't load a fight page, forcing me to reload the page and adventure again, to the message "you twiddle your thumbs".

There are no error messages or anything, either in browser or Mafia. Just the loss of these functions when using the relay browser.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Seems like a javascript issue. I don't know what the cause or solution would be, though.

Flash has nothing to do with KoL, with or without KoLmafia.

VladYvhuce

Is there perhaps some setting that I managed to inadvertently enable or disable in Mafia that would mess with javascript in the relay browser? Or maybe something that use to be a function but got lost in a Mafia update? Sometimes, I sleep-walk and manage to sleep-login-to-and-use-the-computer surprisingly well. So, I could well have done that and broken something that doesn't report an error...

xKiv

Did you try completely clean reinstall of mafia?
(move all kolmafia folders somewhere else)

Seeing the same issues in FF and IE implies that it's not any addon, like noscript or requestpolicy, which would normally be my guess.

ETA: what's your version of kolmafia? (this is probably irrelevant, but ...)

VladYvhuce

I typically download the newest version every night, before use.

Edit: Did fresh install method with v17.3 r16933. Didn't fix anything.

Last edited:

Magus_Prime

I've seen behavior similar to what you're describing. It happened when I was visiting friends in another state and their ISP (Frontier) was interfering with web traffic on a number of levels. I had to establish a VPN tunnel to a known good location before things normalized.

VladYvhuce

I don't know what a VPN tunnel is.

I did a number of things overnight and one or more restored KOL's functionality:
1: Gibbs-slapped Windows for not running JS with administrator permissions, and manually set permissions for JS.
2: Did another fresh install.
3: Found that AdBlock was blocking some stuff, even though it was supposed to be disabled. Proceeded to Gibbs-slap AdBlock and remove those filters.
4: Re-set JS's settings, in case it was something I'd managed to screw up there.
Now, I just have to re-customize Mafia and hope I don't break anything in the proccess.

I wish I could say that I could go to sleep, now, but I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of hours... Anyhow... If someone else happens to run into this problem, maybe this topic will help them out.