Bug - Not A Bug Maximizer suggests bad Friar boost

Theraze

Observed behaviour:
Maximize for item drop, food drop, -tie. Maximizer suggests friars food (+30) and friars booze (+0).

Expected behaviour:
Maximize for item drop, food drop, -tie. Maximizer suggests friars food (+30). It does not suggest a +0 'boost' that eliminates my chance for a +30 boost.

Darzil

Developer
Maximizer doesn't know about any mutually exclusive buffs at present. Same applies to every other category of buff.

Theraze

Well, the bug is in it suggesting a buff that provides no benefit. It would be a FReq if friars booze provided an actual positive benefit to my maximization request.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Just maximize for +item, you'll see that the friars food and booze buff are both listed. That has to be intentional, so I guess what you're saying is you don't like that feature.

Given that it's listed as providing a bonus of 0, I don't see how it's a problem.

Theraze

Why are we getting suggestions for no benefit in the maximizer though, especially with tie disabled? If it has benefit, show it. If it doesn't have benefit, don't suggest it if I've asked the maximizer not to show me non-beneficial entries.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
They might be beneficial, depending on exactly why you care about +item. Most people won't think to include food drop, booze drop, weapon drop, or whatever else even when that form of +item is applicable to their situation.

Theraze

I see that this is closed despite the buff providing no official benefit. I'll continue to call it a bug since it's providing non-standard results that give no appreciable benefit. For this to not be a bug, either it shouldn't suggest incorrect modifiers which aren't the same, or it should consider them to have value. Suggesting modifiers with no value is a bug when -tie is specified.

Darzil

Developer
Arguably we could remove all the minor influence of subtypes of item drop as we can now consider them individually. Or at least have a preference to do so. That would be a reasonable feature request. Despite the way the he status quo niggles me, it has been the case for so many years that I struggle to consider something that is explicitly a feature ad a bug.

Darzil

Developer
To be specific, it seems strange that the existence of this code would be considered a bug, as opposed to something specifically added to the code. I could see an argument for making -tie exclude it, or having a preference for whether it is done, as a feature request.

Code:
		// Make sure indirect sources have at least a little weight;
		double fudge = this.weight[ Modifiers.EXPERIENCE ] * 0.0001f;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.MONSTER_LEVEL ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.MUS_EXPERIENCE ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.MYS_EXPERIENCE ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.MOX_EXPERIENCE ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.MUS_EXPERIENCE_PCT ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.MYS_EXPERIENCE_PCT ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.MOX_EXPERIENCE_PCT ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.VOLLEYBALL_WEIGHT ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.SOMBRERO_WEIGHT ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.VOLLEYBALL_EFFECTIVENESS ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.SOMBRERO_EFFECTIVENESS ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.SOMBRERO_BONUS ] += fudge;

fudge = this.weight[ Modifiers.ITEMDROP ] * 0.0001f;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.FOODDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.BOOZEDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.HATDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.WEAPONDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.OFFHANDDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.SHIRTDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.PANTSDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.ACCESSORYDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.CANDYDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.GEARDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.FAIRY_WEIGHT ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.FAIRY_EFFECTIVENESS ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.SPORADIC_ITEMDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.PICKPOCKET_CHANCE ] += fudge;

fudge = this.weight[ Modifiers.MEATDROP ] * 0.0001f;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.LEPRECHAUN_WEIGHT ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.LEPRECHAUN_EFFECTIVENESS ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.SPORADIC_MEATDROP ] += fudge;
		this.weight[ Modifiers.MEAT_BONUS ] += fudge;

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
FWIW in casual and unclear thinking I tend to think of item, food and booze as mutually exclusive. That is not the case and I do remember to correct myself when it makes a difference but it does suggest room for improvement with aggregates. For example, I might consider a drop aggregate of food, booze and anything_but_food_and_booze and people could maximize on any supported combination. For aggregates I would introduce all would be the equivalent of including all aggregate members with equal weight assigned. This is a thought exercise only and not a suggestion or FR but it might trigger some useful ideas.

Darzil

Developer
I would personally be quite happy, usually, if they did not appear, as I might be more likely to think of "item drop, food drop" for dairy goat or whitey's grove. However, given that many people don't think like that (and I often forget to go for "item drop, accessory drop, pants drop, hat drop, outfit drop" when looking for outfits), and we don't have them as standard options (and many don't realise you can add your own standard options or create custom options on the fly), I'm don't think it should be default.