Mafia unequips familiar equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladYvhuce

I made the mistake of not testing it on another generic familiar. It will prevent Mafia from auto-switching gear for non-generic familiars, though. And even though it's more of a glitch at this point, rather than a proper script function, It was a good enough glitch to have me fooled for a while. So, that's entirely on me...

It also seems that just adding the generic familiars to the list of ones not to switch equipment on does nothing to solve the problem... And fixing that one missing "=" doesn't do me any good at this point (but thanks for pointing it out, should it come into play in the future).

Which leaves me back to where I started at... How do I get Mafia to stop swapping familiar gear, automatically?

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
The simplest familiarScript:
PHP:
boolean main() {
    return true; // don't automatically steal familiar gear.
}

Bale

Minion
I think lost has the solution. At no point in this thread do we ever specify the step where the familiarScript need to be set. We kinda assumed that. VladYvhuce, whatever the name of your familiarScript needs to be set as the value of the KoLmafia preference familiarScript. For instance with the following CLI command:

Code:
set familiarScript = familiarScript.ash

The way we were discussing it, I can see why you might have assumed that like a relay override, just giving it a certain name might have caused it to fulfill the task you expected.

VladYvhuce

Hey! There we go! Saved a properly named copy to the appropriate location, used CLI command. Now, it works. I was trying to set it via the automaton preferences tab's "Familiar Script" blank. For whatever reason, that doesn't work.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
"For whatever reason" is that if you leave it blank, you have explicitly said that you want no familiarScript.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
That's not what I said. What I said is that filling in that blank has no effect.

Let's not get into a pi$$ing contest that deals with the differences between what you literally wrote, what you intended to convey, what others read and what others thought you said, OK?

That said, you definitely discovered a bug and it has been fixed.

Darzil

Developer
For reference, in IT development one would probably refer to it as entering data into a field. When trying to be specific IT can get a little technical.

VladYvhuce

For reference, in IT development one would probably refer to it as entering data into a field. When trying to be specific IT can get a little technical.
Noted. Others may want to note that I'm still very much a layman. If no one tells me the proper name for something, I have no way of knowing that it isn't called "The Familiar Script Blank", or what have you. Now that I know this particular bit of info, I can call it "The Familiar Script Data Field", if that's more IT-friendly.

Last edited:

VladYvhuce

A quote from Smokey And The Bandit comes to mind: "When you talk to someone, it depends on what part of the world you're standing in as to just how dumb you are." In other words, when we get used to one way of speaking, we run into communications problems when presented with people who're used to another way of speaking... I don't suppose there would be a repository for IT slang somewhere that I could study? At least that way, I could know what to call the "thingy" that I broke, instead of "that thingy that does that one function", and thus, save everybody some time and headache.

Bale

Minion
It's called jargon, not slang. Jargon is terminology that is used in relation to a specific activity, profession, group, or event whereas slang is the use of informal words and expressions that are not considered standard in the speaker’s dialect or language.

VladYvhuce

And it seems I made another layman's mistake. Sorry, once again. Any such place to learn the jargon, then? I'm quite serious about that. It would help us all if someone could direct me to something that I could study and effectively translate for myself and not confuse so many people, as well as understanding what you guys are saying better.

Bale

Minion
You can google it, but I already looked and I could not find a single unified reference for you to use. You might learn something from half a dozen different pages though. I expect that experience would be your best teacher.

VladYvhuce

Can do. I mostly work outside, so when we have some bad weather, I'm stuck with nothing else to do. That should give me ample opportunity to study during these next few months. Are there any specific keywords or phrases I should use when searching?

Status
Not open for further replies.