EXE Builds

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
So now that I have the new build server up and running. What is everyones opinions on EXE builds? I know there's some people who still use them I think, should I only build them once a week? A day? Every time there's a new build? Should I completely stop building them?

Theraze

I'd suggest not building them because they seem to be less reliable than the built jar files. The Catch-22 exe builds that had the JET built executables seemed to have some advantage, but pure JRE-requiring executables just seem to be an opportunity for additional failure.

EXE builds aren't strictly needed on Windows anyway, because Windows machines can run JAR builds directly, if the file associations aren't messed up. I agree with Theraze.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
I think the reason we originally started building them was because we had some users who were unable to install JAVA for some reason. I'm not quite sure if we have anyone who does that still though.

xKiv

I thought the reason EXE builds kept being built is because it's the only way to get an icon in system tray (when minimized)?

Theraze

These EXE builds still require Java. Only the Catch-22 JET builds had a separate runtime that would obviate the need for the JRE.

I think xKiv's note about having an icon is the existing reason. Which... *shrugs*

Ulti

I like exe builds just for the custom icon. But, as per this thread, I use a shortcut to a bat so I can set a custom shortcut icon. Then my bat is coded to run the latest jar file stored in my kolmafia directory. Finally, so the shortcut doesn't clutter my desktop, I place it in my windows start menu.

So despite my love of the exe, I can manage without it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I would love it if we could simply provide a .jar build and skip the .dmg and .exe builds, since every single complaint we get about this or that is from the non-.jar builds.

If all we gave you was a .jar build, figure it out or shut up.