Bug - Fixed get_clan_name() works poorly when not in a clan

Playing as not-Ed, calling get_clan_name() while in a fight will return your current clan name.

Playing as Ed, calling get_clan_name() while in a fight causes an error:
Code:
showplayer.php: redirected to a fight page

Bale

Minion
That is really darn weird.

Does that happen at any point in the fight, or only when you are in the Underworld?

It happens calling get_clan_name() at any point in the fight. If I call it while in the Underworld then it (correctly) returns an empty string.

Oh, it's probably worth noting that the multi I'm having this issue with is not a member of a clan. I guess that could potentially be the problem rather than it specifically being Ed related.

Testing with a Turtle Tamer multi: I leave my clan, and enter a fight. get_clan_name() returns the name the clan I just left.

Back on the Ed multi: I join a clan, and enter a fight. get_clan_name() does not error, and returns the name of the clan I just joined.

So it looks like this is potentially related to the tracked clan being unset rather than anything to do with Ed.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
ClanManager.getClanName() calls ClanManager.retrieveClanIdAndName(), which submits a ProfileRequest if the clanId is unset. I don't know that being in Ed necessarily has anything to do with it so much as it's possible to start your day in the middle of a combat in Ed.

Yeah, I don't think Ed has anything to do with it now, but I can't edit the thread title.

This wasn't related to starting the day in combat though. I suspect the clanId was unset because that multi was not, and had never been, in a clan.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Which, to my eye, makes this a real low priority thing. Especially since I am not willing to take my multis out of their respective clan to try to debug it.

tl;dr; Join a clan!

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
16646 sets clanId to -1 instead of 0 and clanName to an empty String instead of null when a clan name isn't found on your profile, so a new profile request won't happen from get_clan_name(). That should cut a few thousand server hits each day for ChIT users not in a clan, at least.