Bug - Fixed Gothy breaks combat parsing

zarqon

Lately my combat script has been exhibiting a fondness for my tiny goth giant. Unfortunately, this makes my combats Gothy which confuses mafia and fills my session log with things like this:

sessionlog said:
Round 1: zarqon executes a macro!
Round 1: zarqon uses the Rain-Doh indigo cup and uses the tiny goth giant!
Round 2: You gain 518 hit points
Unknown item found: gloom** height=30 width=30>You despair gain 5 Mana soul Points
Round 2: gloom** height=30 width=30>You despair gain 5 Mana soul Points
Round 2: zarqon executes a macro!
Round 2: zarqon uses the tiny goth giant!
Unknown item found: agony* height=30 width=30>despair class=effect>You gain 5 agony Mana Points
Round 3: agony* height=30 width=30>despair class=effect>You gain 5 agony Mana Points
Round 3: zarqon uses the tiny goth giant!
Unknown item found: agony** width=30>agony class=effect>You gain 6 Mana heart* Points
Round 4: agony** width=30>agony class=effect>You gain 6 Mana heart* Points
Round 4: Lamz0r N00b takes 52 damage.

At the end of the day, my Session Results window is quite full of these HTML-like "items".

Though I despair of this ever being fixed, my blackened soul yet holds out a tender tendril of hope that some lonely, solitary dev would be able to navigate through the dark miasma that is Gothy HTML and end my anguish.

Darzil

Developer
I think to fix Gothy we'd have to remove the following terms (and a space?) from combat text prior to parsing it, if you have the effect or are using it, as it only adds text.

agony, anguish, blackness, despair, fear, gloom, heart, loneliness, miasma, rain, soul, or torment (from http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Gothy)

Looks like maybe that should be heart* from your report, and maybe gloom**, or is it that random numbers of stars can appear after each ? Can you grab some html so we can see if it does something silly like adding spaces before and afterwards?

zarqon

I manually played a few fights. So far, I haven't found any kind of consistency to whether or not a relevant "You acquire" line gets "polluted" with Gothiness. It even appears to be broken in a few cases, with raw HTML actually visible on the page. Here's one such page.

HTML:
Chrome didn't like me trying to paste more than 50K characters in this box.  Text file attached below.

I could attach a whole debug log with several such combats if you like, but even after renaming BatMan RE's fight.ash to something different (thus entirely bypassing it), the filesize gets large quickly.

Attachments

• gothyfight.txt
    51.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
From what I saw in the original post, it could be torment, agony, gloom, and perhaps others. Nothing that couldn't be added to a group of alternatives and matched by a regexp.

Crowther

From what I saw in the original post, it could be torment, agony, gloom, and perhaps others. Nothing that couldn't be added to a group of alternatives and matched by a regexp.
It might match the list used for chat effects. For what it's worth the wiki lists those as agony, anguish, blackness, despair, fear, gloom, heart, loneliness, miasma, rain, soul, and torment.