Bug - Not A Bug KoLMafia 17.2 DMG on OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan) won't mount, reports as corrupted

meowsus

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem installing KoL Mafia 17.2 stable. Seems like the DMG is corrupt. You should be able to reproduce by downloading the file in El Capitan and trying to install it.

Just wanted to letcha know!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Interesting.

I built that while running El Capitan. It does look like El Capitan refuses to open the .app. No information other than saying it is "corrupt". I wonder if its a permissions thing?

Well, fortunately, you don't need to use that. You can use the .jar file. Or, better yet, a .jar file from the hourly builds here on this site.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
This sounds like the report where OS X refuses to open certain jarfiles because they're not signed by someone with an Apple developer license.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'll try building it again and see if I can run the .app it makes right from my disk, not the .dmg

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I did this:

% ant clean
% ant dist

I found dist/KoLmafia-17.2.app in the Finder and double clicked it. No problem.
I found dist/KoLmafia-17.2.dmg and opened in in the finder.
In that disk image, I double clicked KoLmafia-17.2. No problem.
I dragged that file to the "Applications" symlink and it appeared in Applications.
I found Applications/KoLmafia-17.2 and double clicked it. No problem.

I think there is nothing wrong with how we create the .app file and the .dmg file; the app runs just find.

However, it seems that El Capitan treats .dmg files and apps from them differently if you downloaded it from the Internet than if you created them locally.

"Gatekeeper" functionality seems much changed in El Capitan, according to looking at one document I found via google.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Should .dmg files still be provided if Apple is going to tell everyone, not even that they are evil, but that they are just broken?

If we decide not to provide those, I'm pretty sure I could do everything else for point releases from my Windows computer.