Bug - Fixed Maximizer doesn't consider the Crown of Ed with fish when maximizing for the sea

ereinion

I decided to farm up a mind-destroyer with my aftercore turns today, and thus ran the following string in the maximizer: "item, -tie, -back, -familiar, 0.01 mp regen, -pants, sea"

This gave the following result:

I was a bit surprised that the Crown of Ed wasn't there, but figured it may just not be implemented yet, so I put it on manually, checked that its critter was fish, and ran the maximizer again to see how much it improved my score. However this time it accepted it as a valid way to get underwater breathing:

Any idea what could be causing this?

Darzil

Developer
Yes, I know exactly why. Will have to think about how to fix it though.

For performance reasons, currently only the 'best' Crown decoration is considered, this means that supporting Crown (and similar items) doesn't add many combinations and thus time to working out the best item.

However, with your maximize, there are two requirements. Basically the +item decoration gives you the best score, but doesn't help meet sea requirements, the +sea decoration gives you a low score, but does help meet sea requirements.

In an ideal world, we should pass through both, and add iterating through Crown of Ed to considering Hats, when +sea is specified. Maybe I'll add that kludge sometime, but it's messy and a fair bit of work.

Darzil

Developer
The easiest solution is probably to hard code the edPiece to only use the sea decoration if +sea was specified. It wouldn't be ideal in the other direction. Is it that much better than other sea breathing that this is the best route? I suspect that the other hat's I'd want to wear in the sea would be sneakmask or sea cowboy hat, so it could well be.

Bear in mind maximizer isn't perfect, it's just pretty darn good.

Darzil

Developer
Oh yes, running item drop it's a no brainer, as all the other sea equipment has larger -item than it has +item.

But if you had another effect giving underwater breathing, or you were looking for +muscle, +moxie, +myst, +monster level, +meat drop, hp regen instead of item drop, it might be another matter.

That's the trouble with maximizer, it has to cover so many possible things you are looking for.

Darzil

Developer
Decided to go for the kludgy fix of always going for Fish decoration when specifying +sea. r16410