Feature Request for feedback : Simplify logic for Food/Booze/Spleen queues

Darzil

Developer
At present we have a slightly odd handling for what we display in Item Manager's Food/Booze/Spleen queues, which also doesn't match the logic exactly for what is usable.

Taking Food as an example, we currently show everything we have, regardless of if we can use it or not, unless the reason we cannot use it is B's in Beecore, non Brain in Zombiecore, non Jarlsberg in Jarlsberg, Hot Dog if we've eaten one. We actually build the queue with most of these things in it, but then only display them afterwards. We also duplicate much of the code in maximumUses as well.

I'm currently very tempted to change this to just display if it's Food or Food Helper and maximumUses <> 0. Would let us simplify a lot of code, would stop code giving different results in different places, and would also stop the interface showing things we cannot queue.

It would, however, be a change to the current interface, where things we cannot use due to fullness can be sorted to the bottom. Not that we can actually do anything with them!

I guess an alternative would be to repurpose sort by room to sort things we cannot use to the bottom ?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Another thing to account for is "can't consume because you don't meet the level requirement", but maybe you will meet it in 5 turns and you only have 10 turns left before you need to consume stuff and you want to check whether you have something good enough lined up. That's probably fine to mix in with what's currently "by room", just throwing another consideration into the mix.

Darzil

Developer
Whilst true, maximumUses doesn't seem to check for level requirements for any consumables, which is why I didn't mention it.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I do 99.44% of my consumption via EatDrink. When I do use Item Manager I almost never queue things but select and consume immediately. When I select I am almost never concerned with things I cannot eat at this moment and I want them sorted by adventures/fullness. I can't figure out how the proposed change would have a negative effect on me which means I am all in favor of consistency and code simplification. How's that for an endorsement from someone who does not have a dog in the fight?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Another thing to account for is "can't consume because you don't meet the level requirement", but maybe you will meet it in 5 turns and you only have 10 turns left before you need to consume stuff and you want to check whether you have something good enough lined up. That's probably fine to mix in with what's currently "by room", just throwing another consideration into the mix.
We currently show these, but grey them out. When you reach the required level, we color them as normal.

You are saying that you want to simply not show things which are too big, given current fullness (emptiness? anti-fullness?), rather than sorting them to the bottom of the list?

Does maximumUses take currently queued things into account, or just empty liver/stomach/spleen?

Because, if you sort by fullness, the "best" things that you have room to queue sort to the top and are dynamically displaced by smaller things as you fill up the queue and less space is available. The other things sort to the bottom. You want them simply to disappear - and then reappear if you unqueue something?

So, we have several interacting mechanisms here:

1) filtering - isVisible - based on whether your path prohibits consumption
2) coloring - based on quality and/or level requirements
3) sorting - putting the "best" items near the top of the list. This is always based on adventures; there are checkboxes to say you only want to see things that give a particular stat, but you can't sort based on a stat.

I guess I'm ok with "filtering" removing items that cannot be queued because of fullness, rather than just sorting them to the bottom of the list. I'm not OK with removing things based on level requirement; I always defer my consumption until I level up enough to use the best items I have or can make, and seeing such items (in grey) reminds me that I might be able to use them soon.

Does maximumUses take the current food/booze/spleen queue into account?

Darzil

Developer
maximumUses doesn't take queue into account, so wouldn't remove them. We're just talking things that cannot actually be queued, regardless of what level we reach, here.