Bug - Not A Bug Gear changer sees chefstaff that isn't there, preventing gear change

This is happening consistently for the last couple of weeks (I get latest revisions each day). When I try to change to a specific custom outfit, it fails "due to the included chefstaff" - and there isn't any in either the current equipment or the equipment in the custom outfit. After I remove the mainhand as the message suggests and try again, it succeeds.

From gCLI:

Code:
> equip

Hat: Xiblaxian stealth cowl
Weapon: super-sweet boom box
Off-hand: Cold Stone of Hatred
Shirt: sea salt scrubs
Pants: Hodgman's lobsterskin pants
Container: sea shawl

Acc. 1: Brimstone Bracelet
Acc. 2: sphygmayomanometer
Acc. 3: Brimstone Brooch

Pet: Ms. Puck Man (35 lbs)
Item: solid shifting time weirdness
Putting on outfit: Backup
Unable to equip outfit "Backup" due to the included chefstaff -- try unequipping your weapon first (or pick an outfit without two chefstaves). Sorry about that.
Taking off super-sweet boom box...
Equipment changed.
Putting on outfit: Backup
Equipment changed.

> equip

Hat: plexiglass pith helmet
Weapon: Shakespeare's Sister's Accordion
Off-hand: super-sweet boom box
Shirt: letterman's jacket
Pants: Hodgman's lobsterskin pants
Container: Buddy Bjorn
Carrying: Scary Death Orb (36 lbs)

Acc. 1: Mr. Cheeng's spectacles (4)
Acc. 2: sphygmayomanometer
Acc. 3: Xiblaxian holo-wrist-puter

Pet: Ms. Puck Man (40 lbs)
Item: solid shifting time weirdness

Let me know if you need more info, it's very repeatable.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Can you equip the outfit fine through the relay browser? I think KoL is trying to equip the accordion to your offhand slot (which can't be done), and either KoL or mafia is providing a misleading message about it not working.

Just tried switching outfits in relay & plain KoL - it's a KoL message.

Just changing the weapon works ok. Of course, I can't change the boom box to off hand directly - it's not there.

Naively, I would expect outfit switching to handle things item by item. That's when the naivete starts wearing off: In what order? What about maintaining effects like hp or mp modifiers while switching, so as to minimize loss of those resources in the process? And probably other things that I haven't thought of.

The gear changer makes it appear as if things change from top to bottom, but I'm guessing that's just how the display behaves, not how an outfit actually changes. I can accomplish the equivalent gear change using maximizer, which does appear to actually change items top to bottom, so it doesn't fail.

Just idly speculating: would there be any benefits to maximizer making equipment changes as if they were an outfit (all at once)? I can see that there would be drawbacks (like incurring this issue). Probably wouldn't want to do the reverse - handling outfit changes by changing items one at a time, instead of using KoL outfit changing.

So, I'm thinking this is just an obscure KoL bug: the (KoL) outfit changer should probably manage the change by considering the possibility of the target state given all resources available - including those already equipped. Apparently it doesn't do that (or some equivalent glitch). The error message doesn't help (obscure bug number 2).

Close this?

xKiv

Just idly speculating: would there be any benefits to maximizer making equipment changes as if they were an outfit (all at once)?

How? You can tell kol to equip an item into a slot, or to equip an entire existing outfit. You can't tell kol to equip "these N items as if they were an outfit". You would have to first equip them one by one, then create the outfit, then equip the outfit ...

Also, iirc, kol's outfit-equipping code is not at all simple, and probably won't get fixed, because any change could break something else that used to work.
One of the reasons is that outfits don't remember which item was in what slot, and have to work even if you can't equip that item into that slot but can equip it in another slot, and also accessories go into empty slots first so equip 1 acc + outfit with 2 accs never unequips the first acc,...

Yep, that's what I was getting at, it's something that on the surface appears straightforward, but in reality has far more going on. Which is why I didn't consider putting in a KoL bug report.

As for that speculation, for some reason I was thinking that custom outfits could be created _then_ equipped. Clearly not.