New Content - Implemented Deck of Every Card

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Yeah. I added "play" commands as the action to get the five buffs - even though it isn't really implemented yet (soon!) - but did nothing to the maximizer to let it know, somehow that that command requires you to have a Deck and 5 available draws.

This is certainly not the first example of something like that; all the time when I want to do the Nuns sidequest, for example, the maximizer suggests "summon XXX" to get the +Meat buff, but unless I happen to have 3 thin black candles and the ingredients for the scroll, it fails.

I know essentially nothing about the maximizer's internals. I will not be addressing either of those issues.

ereinion

Yeah, it doesn't really bother me, I just noticed and figured someone (tm) might want to know.

Oh, and if we are going off on tangents about ways the maximizer can fail, it also fails to get the arena meat buff, if you are in the outfit of the other faction when attempting to get it during the war. Hmm, maybe I should rather post this to a thread more about the maximizer, actually :)

And thanks for implementing these features so quickly, it really is a great help :)

Last edited:

Darzil

Developer
Yeah. I added "play" commands as the action to get the five buffs - even though it isn't really implemented yet (soon!) - but did nothing to the maximizer to let it know, somehow that that command requires you to have a Deck and 5 available draws.

This is certainly not the first example of something like that; all the time when I want to do the Nuns sidequest, for example, the maximizer suggests "summon XXX" to get the +Meat buff, but unless I happen to have 3 thin black candles and the ingredients for the scroll, it fails.

I know essentially nothing about the maximizer's internals. I will not be addressing either of those issues.
Shouldn't be tricky to add. I'll look at it over the weekend if not before. When you add an action to statuseffects.txt, maximizer starts considering it, but any conditions have to be added manually in the Maximizer.java code.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 16029 adds the run() method to the DeckOfEveryCardRequest, so the "play" command should be functional. (It needs some argument enhancement, as discussed above. Later.)

I need the message that KoL gives you if you attempt to cheat with less than 5 draws left. I'm a little wary about getting it (although I will try tomorrow, if necessary) because when I tested to find what message you get when you request the same card for a second time in the day (you are told "Huh?"), KoL counts that as a successful cheat and takes away 5 draws. I submitted a Bug Report, but I will be surprised if they trouble to fix it, since you can't do that in the native interface, because the card will not appear in the dropdown.

Therefore, when you attempt to "play" a specific card, after we submit the "use" request, we look for the name of the card in the response text and won't submit the request if it is not present. Not that that is tested; when the KoL bug took away the extra 5 draws from me, it ran me out of draws for the day.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
By the way - if you use "play" to get a monster, it will automate the fight using your CCS, exactly as a "use" command does for items that lead to fights. If it is important for you to do it manually - you want the option to copy it, say - set your combat action to something that aborts the fight, and you will be able to continue in the browser.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
There are now two skills with the same name, Lightning Bolt. They are both combat skills. Only the new one can be permed (the other is from Heavy Rains), but the pre-ascension reminder list did not include the new skill. Skill ids are on charsheet, but the first thing we do for parsing that page is strip out all HTML tags, which includes those ids. That's going to need some rethinking, or maybe skills will just need to be parsed separately from everything else.

After messing around with charsheet parsing a bit to grab all the skill ids, I realized that everything else internally assumes skill names are unique, and that needs the same type of refactoring as effects and items. I haven't actually done anything for that.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
when I tested to find what message you get when you request the same card for a second time in the day (you are told "Huh?"), KoL counts that as a successful cheat and takes away 5 draws. I submitted a Bug Report, but I will be surprised if they trouble to fix it, since you can't do that in the native interface, because the card will not appear in the dropdown.
Bingo. I got a sarcastic answer to my bug report.

If you're using the native interface for KoL, you can't pick the same card twice when you are cheating. That reminds me of a great joke by Groucho Marx:

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
"Don't do that."
He could have ended the response after the first sentence. Instead, he chose to be a dick about it.

Darzil

Developer
I take it a bit less sarcastic, but it's certainly implying a lack of care about loss of resources due to manipulation of urls (which of course we do a lot). However, it's missing the point that this could also presumably happen by just clicking twice ?

Bale

Minion
That's why I was asking who sent the response so that I could figure out the correct follow up.

It seems to demonstrate a lack of thought about the bug in question which I never get from Gemelli so I was wondering if someone less competent was answering bug reports that day. If it was Gemelli then I'd want to explain it to him. He always listens and provides helpful response if I explain something clearly. If it was someone else, then I'd try to reach Gemelli directly to explain that a bug was dismissed without consideration.

So I did "play spade":

Code:
> play spade

[17411] Deck of Every Card
play X of Spades (4)
Encounter: Ten of Spades
You are currently in a choice.

And then I had to finish in the relay browser. Did I do something wrong?

edgy

Got the same when attempting to "play the magician" in r16032:
Code:
> play the magician

[614085] Deck of Every Card
play I - The Magician (50)
Encounter: I - The Magician
[COLOR="#FF0000"]You are currently in a choice[/COLOR]

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Who sent you that response?
It was not Gemelli. It was somebody I'd never heard of before. I intentionally did not include their name because, although I was not impressed with their ability to actually think through the issue and their lack of caring, I wasn't interested in naming names and "shaming" them.

And then I had to finish in the relay browser. Did I do something wrong?
No. Now that it's a new day I have resources available to look at this some more. I'll see what I can figure out.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
And ... I'm out of draws until tomorrow again. Unless I ascend today - which is not in my plans.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Turns out I had enough turns left after freeing the king to get 3 factoids from a faxed monster, talk to grandpa, and get a facsimile dictionary - which was all I HAD to do before ascending this time, so, I did ascend. I did "play The Lovers" and "play X of Spades" and the following is in my session log:

Code:
use 1 Deck of Every Card

[1] Deck of Every Card
play VI - The Lovers (69)
Encounter: VI - The Lovers
You gain 550 Chutzpah
You gain some Moxie points!

use 1 Deck of Every Card

[1] Deck of Every Card
play X of Spades (4)
Encounter: Seven of Spades
Spade letters: KNWYDEP
You acquire grave robbing shovel (7)
The only left to verify is that "play NON-RANDOM-FIGHT" does automate the fight, rather than stopping at the initial encounter.

DoctorWeebl

The effects for Knife are missing.
Looks like the following should go on line 1201 of modifiers.txt:

Code:
Item	knife	Meat Drop: +50, Moxie: +100

Keep noticing its absence when running "maximize meat". I would add it, but I honestly don't know the first place to start with that sort of thing. It's probably safer for someone else to do it anyways.