New Content - Implemented Pirate Bellow

Lxndr

Pirate Bellow can now be upgraded!

_pirateBellowUsed should maybe not be true/false, but instead track the number of times bellow has been used

(and perhaps we need a separate variable to track # of upgrades?)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
We need to track how many times you've bought Black Bart's Booty, since it costs more swagger to buy it a second time, just as it costs more swagger to buy your second (and beyond) Essence of Annoyance.

I don't know how or if we handle Annoyance case, but since we now have two swagger items that increase in cost as you buy mre of them, it seems like it's a real KoL mechanism, and we SHOULD have the infrastructure to handle it, since there will probably be other cases coming along, eventually.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
_pirateBellowUsed tracks whether you cast the skill already (which you can still only do once per day), not how many times it has triggered in chat.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I don't know how or if we handle Annoyance case

Using an Essence of Annoyance decrements summonAnnoyanceCost, and viewing the skill description updates it. There's no way (currently?) to tell after the fact how much Pirate Bellow has been upgraded.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
In that case, it would be nice if the skill description for Pirate Bellow would tell you how many times it triggers in chat, so we could see how much it has been upgraded. That would be a KoL change. Some KoL dev should suggest it. ;)

You can reverse engineer summonAnnoyanceCost to tell how many times the skill has been upgraded, and from that, derive the cost in the Swagger Shop to buy the next upgrade. Do we do that, or does the Coinmasters Frame always say the cost is 5,000 swagger?

Fun facts: if you buy your first Essence of Annoyance in the Swagger Shop, it leaves it there for the original cost - until you leave and go away. If you have not used it before coming back, it is not on offer the next time you go in; apparently you cannot buy another until you have used the previous one - and presumably, the Swagger Shop will update with the higher price, once you have done so. I don't know what would happen if you try to buy a second one before you leave the Swagger Shop with the first one; it is clearly visible in the shop inventory, but KoL will probably reject it.

(I wasn't brave enough to try to buy a second for 5,000 - the price it showed me - because I actually had more than 11,000 swagger left after buying my first, and I wasn't willing to spend that much for a second vial. It probably would have just rejected the attempt, since I had the first vial in inventory, but, who knows...)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Some KoL dev should suggest it. ;)
Someone else got to that before I could.

You can reverse engineer summonAnnoyanceCost to tell how many times the skill has been upgraded, and from that, derive the cost in the Swagger Shop to buy the next upgrade. Do we do that, or does the Coinmasters Frame always say the cost is 5,000 swagger?
It always says 5000.

Fun facts: if you buy your first Essence of Annoyance in the Swagger Shop, it leaves it there for the original cost - until you leave and go away. If you have not used it before coming back, it is not on offer the next time you go in; apparently you cannot buy another until you have used the previous one - and presumably, the Swagger Shop will update with the higher price, once you have done so. I don't know what would happen if you try to buy a second one before you leave the Swagger Shop with the first one; it is clearly visible in the shop inventory, but KoL will probably reject it.
I always just assumed it was a lack of reloading the shop, because doing so is rarely needed.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 16066 assumes that all of the seasonal rewards (and Essence of Annoyance) can potentially be upgraded. If you visit the Swagger Shop (via the "visit" button in the Coinmasters Frame when you have the Swagger Shop selected, for example), it will learn the current price you will pay and updates that display.

It also save the current price in settings. Mine, for example (keeping in mind that I own, but have not used, an essence of annoyance, so the second bottle is not even for sale to me yet).

Code:
antagonisticSnowmanKitCost=1000
blackBartsBootyCost=2000
essenceOfAnnoyanceCost=5000
essenceOfBearCost=1000
holidayHalsBookCost=1000
mapToKokomoCost=1234
I just noticed that it doesn't seem to initialize the coinmaster with those settings, for some reason, so it's not quite finished.

We also don't track how many times you's actually upgraded Pirate Bellow. Personally, I don't care if we do; it doesn't affect how many times you can use it, only how many times the effect fires in chat when you use your once-per-day casting.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 16068 now gets the purchase cost from the seasonal rewards from the settings, as set from the last time you visited the Swagger Shop and saw the item for sale.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I think so. As I mentioned, we don't track how many times you've upgraded the skill, but, until/unless KoL lets us derive that from the skill description, I don't see the point. Even if/when they do that, I might not see the point: you still get 1 cast per day for the same MP cost; the only difference is how many times the chat effect fires.

I'm still debating about whether I should buy the item again. I have nothing better to spend the Swagger on, but, meh.

Bale

Minion
That's good enough then. I'll mark the content as implemented.

PS. I bought a second Black Bart's Booty and stuck it in my Display Case because I don't want to upgrade the skill.