New Content - Implemented Jewelrycrafting change

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
June 16
Happy Tuesday! Jewelrycrafting no longer costs Adventures, because Jewelrycrafting no longer exists.

All former jewelrycrafting recipes are now meat-pasting recipes. The pliers from Little Canadia are still required to make them, and the ones that required the Really Expensive Jewelrycrafting skill still require it.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I think I got everything in 15949. Except that any previously-learned recipes for things that require the recipe didn't carry over on KoL's end, and I don't know if there's a good way to handle that.

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Previously-learned recipes for things that do require the recipe also did not carry over (floaty rock necklace in particular stands out).

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Previously-learned recipes for things that do require the recipe also did not carry over (floaty rock necklace in particular stands out).

Oh, I had an extra negative in my post, so I was confused about you repeating me until I reread my post carefully (and then fixed it).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Except that any previously-learned recipes for things that require the recipe didn't carry over on KoL's end.
Whoa.

4174 floaty rock necklace
5072 giant diamond ring
6501 moon-amber necklace

So, you are saying that, even though I knew those recipes before, I have to do the following to reclaim them.

use a crystallized memory (ONLY 7.5 million in the mall)
take a hot shower until I relearn the amzing discovery
go into a new Dreadsylvania instance (only 1 million!) and learn the recipe again.

Since you still need the pliers, wouldn't it have been a heck of a lot easier to simply remove the adventure cost for removing them, rather than making them meatsmithing recipes and erasing all the hard-earned recipes that peoiple had already learned? Unless it is, somehow, critical that people spend 10 Meat for meat paste to make these during a Canadia sign?

God, this was just bone-headed.

Bale

Minion
Since you still need the pliers, wouldn't it have been a heck of a lot easier to simply remove the adventure cost for removing them, rather than making them meatsmithing recipes and erasing all the hard-earned recipes that peoiple had already learned? Unless it is, somehow, critical that people spend 10 Meat for meat paste to make these during a Canadia sign?

There is one critical difference that you are overlooking which is involved in making them meatpasting. These items (with a very few exceptions) can now be untinkered. Unfortunately the floaty rock necklace appears to be one of those exceptions so it definitely sucks.

Last edited:

Crowther

I'm really hoping there's some none obvious excuse for this. Say, maybe next month's IotM involves jewelry. It sure does look totally bone-headed.

Bale

Minion
go into a new Dreadsylvania instance (only 1 million!) and learn the recipe again.

Going into a new Dreadsylvania instance shouldn't cost you a million. You're a member of HCO/N/S and we let people into our non-combats for free as long as they don't take certain limited resources. This one only takes a single adventure in an already open instance.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
All of them, but you can't untinker things when they require a recipe and you don't have it. Except for the necklace now.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Why was this done?

- There was a working jewelrymaking system
- Making jewelry required jewelrymaking pliers
- Making fancy jewelry required a skill
- jewelrymaking had its own category of discovery
- jewelrymaking had a trophy
- jewelrymaking required 3 turns per ply

So, if they wanted to make jewelrymaking more interesting in-run, they COULD have simply removed that last point.

Instead, they did this:

- All the old jewelrymaking recipes have been replaced, one for one, by meat paste recipes
- You still need jewelrymaking pliers and the skill, just as before
- There is no turn cost.
--> Every discovery that many people spend lots of time, effort, and money to is gone
--> Those of us who actually kept one of each of the items we crafted before can untinker them and regain and re-gain the recipes
--> (Except for the amazing discovery and the Dreadsylvania discovery.)
--> Are jewelrymaking discoveries now mixed in with meat paste discoveries, and you just have to know that they have additional requirements, rather than having their own category?
--> The trophy? Unobtainable, until and unless they come out with a kludge to make it available again.

I am really looking forward to seeing how this will be better for the players, going forward, than keeping the original system and removing the turn cost to use it. I see zero benefit - to the player - to doing it the way they did, rather than simply removing the code that spent adventures. Whereas the HARM to players seems unambiguous.

It looks like change for the sake of change with literally zero thought given to transitioning old discoveries into new discoveries. Hell, if they'd done that, they wouldn't have needed to put in the "floaty rock necklace can be untinkered" kludge, although they'd still need to come up with a kludge to make the trophy available again.

But, who knows? Maybe there will be some jewelry thing coming in the future that would have been simply impossible with a 0-turn "jewelry is its own crafting system" fix and my imagination is just too limited to be able to grok it.

Why was this done?

xKiv

Another player-visible difference is the untinkerability. I can imagine a canadia revamp where you bolt "enchantments" onto rings, necklaces and bracelets, then switch them out for something else - with stronger versions available when the base ring/... is a canadia-only quest item (or just unpullable)?
Maybe the code for jewelrycrafting was ripe for refactor-by-throwing-out, and it was easier to bolt "requires item and possibly skill" onto (more modern) meatpasting than making a new system?

xKiv

Trying to write such script, I hit this:
Code:
> untinker vampire pearl ring

You cannot untinker that item.

This is because UntinkerRequest only accepts CraftingType.COMBINE.
If I included more than 1 item in the command, I would probably also get them filtered out in ItemFinder, where UNTINKER_MATCH also only accepts CraftingType.COMBINE.

Sounds like something still needs changing in mafia for this. Once that's taken care of, this sort of script is straightforward.

Meanwhile, I suppose it could be done with visit_url() - ?

This seems to work:
Code:
> ashq visit_url("place.php?whichplace=forestvillage&action=fv_untinker&pwd&preaction=untinker&whichitem="+$item[dark porquoise ring].to_int())

untinker 1 dark porquoise ring
You acquire an item: porquoise
You acquire an item: black gold

edit: posted a script

Last edited: