Bug - Not A Bug Haunted Billiards Room check isn't counting Actually Ed's staff.

Terion

(If this should be part of the Actually Ed thread, please move it there. I wasn't sure if that should be necroed after two months of inactivity.)

When I go to the Haunted Billiards Room with Ed's starting "Staff of Ed" equipped, I get the warning response:

Code:
You cannot beat the hustler. You have 10 pool skill and need 14 to have a chance, and 18 to guarantee it.
Drinking more may help, giving an extra one pool skill per drunk up to 10.
If you are sure you wish to adventure at this drunkenness, click the icon to adventure.

It is counting the 10 points I have from past SRs, but not the 5 points the Staff gives me. From a quick skim of the Actually thread, I'd wager it's related to the issue of there being two "Staff of Ed" items, but I don't know how that was worked out elsewhere.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
So, just to confirm: when you are wielding Ed's staff and do "modtrace Pool Skill", it says nothing about the item?

Terion

I have since gone through the Level 11 quest where Amun breaks apart the Staff of Ed and you re-hide the parts, so I can't check at the moment. I'll do another run after this one completes, and check it then, but that will be on the order of a week away if anyone should beat me to the testing.

Terion

using r15964.

Code:
> equip staff of ed

Wielding Staff of Ed...
Equipment changed.

> modtrace Pool Skill
                        type                          source                          Pool Skill                  
                        Item                          Staff of Ed                          +5.00                          =*+5.00

Then proceeding to adventure for the first time in the just-unlocked Haunted Billiards Room, with 2 Drunkeness and 10 base skill from past-life SRs:

Code:
You cannot beat the hustler. You have 12 pool skill and need 14 to have a chance, and 18 to guarantee it.
Drinking more may help, giving an extra one pool skill per drunk up to 10.
If you are sure you wish to adventure at this drunkenness, click the icon to adventure.

I swapped to another weapon so I would lose against the hustler on my first encounter.

(I then came across the adventure that dropped the pool cue; asking the Modifier Maximizer for "pool skill" did properly suggest the Staff of Ed, not the cue. I think that was mentioned and fixed in another report, but I figured I'd confirm it is working correctly now.)

After getting a +1 Pool Skill from losing to the hustler, I checked on my Quest Log - Other Accomplishments:
Code:
You have achieved a skill level of 11 at shooting pool.
(The Quest Log doesn't include the inebriated effect.)
modtrace Pool Skill shows no sources; re-equipping the Staff of Ed causes the modtrace to show the staff, as above.

Edit: Huh, cute. I didn't realize the quest entry also tells you your skill, once you've met the hustler:
Code:
Lady Spookyraven's Necklace
Beat the ghost at pool. Your current pool skill is 11
Anyway, I will leave that quest at that point, and stay away from Amun to keep my Staff of Ed, for now, in case there are other tests you'd like me to do. I think that I have enough to spend turns on today that I can leave it until tomorrow, if there's anything that would be better tested on a new day.

Last edited:

Terion

Certainly. Updated to r15971. Started with the battery-powered drill equipped:
Code:
> set poolSharkCount

> set poolSkill

> equip staff of ed

Wielding Staff of Ed...
Equipment changed.

> set poolSharkCount

> set poolSkill

Not sure why poolSharkCount is at 8; it should be 10 (the "Rack 'em up" cap), but that still is only a difference of 2, not the 5 that I saw missing.

Last edited:

Cool12309

Certainly. Updated to r15971. Started with the battery-powered drill equipped:
Code:
> set poolSharkCount

> set poolSkill

> equip staff of ed

Wielding Staff of Ed...
Equipment changed.

> set poolSharkCount

> set poolSkill

Not sure why poolSharkCount is at 8; it should be 10 (the "Rack 'em up" cap), but that still is only a difference of 2, not the 5 that I saw missing.

You need 25 pool sharks to get 10 pool skill. That preference is how many times you visited him, not the current bonus (mafia wouldn't be able to find out the bonus otherwise). You're only getting 5 pool skill from the semirare, so there's your missing 5 (10 - 5 = 5).

Terion

Ah, well, that would explain it. Must have had a bunch of SRs either outside Mafia or before it was tracked. Anyway, thanks for the solution and I'm sorry to have taken up your time. *bows out of the room*