Does anyone run Mafia on a tablet?

I'm thinking about picking up a tablet, never having owned one before. KoLing would be a primary use, so I'm hoping I can find one that will run Mafia comfortably. Does anyone else do this, and if so, what make/model do you have?

I guess Android tablets will run Java?

Theraze

I guess Android tablets will run Java?

Sort of. But not well. You can try to load some sort of a Java instance in using F-Droid, but it wouldn't run mafia last time I tried. That was several months back, but...

There was someone trying to fork mafia to be able to work without a GUI as a relay browser-able system in Android/iOS, but nothing public available yet that actually works.

Crowther

I haven't tried it personally, but a friend runs KoLmafia on a desktop and uses some kind of remote desktop app on his phone. He says that works fairly well.

Theraze

Oh, I've done the same but that's like saying I could run GTA5 on my phone because Remotr will let me remote control my computer. :)
But yes, the remote connection to the desktop/laptop/headless-box is an option. Just not one that actually involves running Java on the tablet.
As is the option of simply running the client on the other machine, turning on remote connections to the proxy server, and then accessing the relay browser using the tablet.

The clarifying question which OP needs to answer is, are you wanting to run mafia using ONLY a tablet, or are you looking to simply access some part of the interface from the tablet and 'helper' machines are allowed as well?

The clarifying question which OP needs to answer is, are you wanting to run mafia using ONLY a tablet, or are you looking to simply access some part of the interface from the tablet and 'helper' machines are allowed as well?
What I'm really looking to do is run it natively on the tablet. But ancillary discussion of remote play from my main machine is potentially interesting, as well.

ajoshi

Sort of. But not well. You can try to load some sort of a Java instance in using F-Droid, but it wouldn't run mafia last time I tried. That was several months back, but...

There was someone trying to fork mafia to be able to work without a GUI as a relay browser-able system in Android/iOS, but nothing public available yet that actually works.

I believe you're talking about this ;)

I was trying, but RL got in the way like crazy and I stopped- I only got one review in. I'm on leave now and was semi-actively working on it but I was in Nepal during the earthquake, so RL got in the way even more!

Theraze

Yes, and no. :) There was someone trying to get it to work with iOS a few years ago, but yours is the more recent Android one. :) I suppose I should really have said that there have been people, rather than someone, but... eh.

ajoshi

Oh wow, somebody was trying on iOS? Even with Android using Java it's barely possible (let's see if it works!); I can't even imagine how this would work on iOS. I know there are Java -> Obj C conversion tools, but from what I understand, those tools aren't 100% reliable. Anyway, you weren't looking for an iOS version, were you?

ajoshi

Wow, that is amazing. If mine ends up working (since the problems I'm having are also GUI related) then it seems that matt.chug's would work as well! Wow. Did I say wow yet?
And I hope that Java installer works- it'll be easier than doing the nonsense I'm doing! Good luck!

Theraze

Quick summary:
Droid4X is missing a needed library which is apparently included in Cyanogen and some other 'real' Android builds, which the easy-Java requires.
Bluestacks... looks promising. It complains about not being able to write to /.kolmafia because it's still read only. Will give it some more playing to test that out later.

Edit: Bluestacks now refuses to launch. I love Bluestacks. Anyways, command line additions to test later.
-DuseCWDasROOT makes it not try to use the wrong folder to store its files.
-Djava.awt.headless=true makes it not try to launch the GUI. Hopefully won't need this, but won't know until it gets there.

Last edited: