New Content - Implemented jar of swamp honey

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
April 08 - It is possible that swamp honey actually does something now.
And what would that be?

You dip the spaghetti breakfast in swamp honey before you eat it. Mmmmm!

You steel your nerves and dig in. It is the most important meal of the day, after all.

You gain 7 Adventures.
You gain 15 Strengthliness.
You gain 12 Magicalness.
You gain 11 Smarm.

You lose some of an effect: Got Milk (1 Adventure)
Well, it consumed one jar of swamp honey, as we can tell from the message.
It also gave me some stats - which is something that food item normally does not do. Looks like 10-15 of each.

Let's try it with an item which normally DOES give stats.

You dip the snow crab in swamp honey before you eat it. Mmmmm!

Using a variety of byzantine tools, you manage to extricate the small amount of edible crab from inside the layers of cosmic horror. It's tasty, but man is it a lot of work.

You gain 6 Adventures.
You gain 25 Strengthliness.
You gain 33 Mysteriousness.
You gain 28 Roguishness.

You lose some of an effect: Got Milk (1 Adventure)
The snow crab normally gives 10-20 of each stat. If the swamp honey adds 10-15, we'd expect 20-35, which is consistent with what happened.

Edit: I am in a Muscle zodiac sign, so we expect Muscle stat gains to be up 10%.

Darzil

Developer
So I guess it's like a few other items that we basically don't support, other than possibly to note them being used up from the messages, which give extra stats and constantly throw off spading of stats from eating.

Maybe we should add a log/cli message, so it is clear this has happened.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
We need to remove it from inventory when it gets used.

Other than that, we could add it to the Food panel of the Item Manager, for information purposes. Looking at ListCellRendererFactory, I see the following:

Code:
			case ItemPool.MUNCHIES_PILL:
				stringForm.append( "+1-3 adv from next food eaten" );
				break;

case ItemPool.SUSHI_DOILY:
				stringForm.append( "+3 adv from next sushi eaten (automatically used from inventory)" );
				break;

case ItemPool.GRAINS_OF_SALT:
				stringForm.append( "+3 adv from next food eaten (automatically used from inventory)" );
				break;

case ItemPool.SCRATCHS_FORK:
				stringForm.append( "+30% adv/mus/mys/mox from next food, +50% from salad" );
				break;

case ItemPool.DIVINE_FLUTE:
				stringForm.append( "+(7*adv)+(0-15) MP from next drink" );
				break;

case ItemPool.FROSTYS_MUG:
				stringForm.append( "+30% adv/mus/mys/mox from next drink, +50% from beer" );
				break;

case ItemPool.CRIMBCO_MUG:
				stringForm.append( "does something to next drink" );
				break;

case ItemPool.BGE_SHOTGLASS:
				stringForm.append( "+3 adv from next drink" );
				break;

case ItemPool.FUDGE_SPORK:
				stringForm.append( "+3 adv from next food, 10 sugar rush" );
				break;
As you can see, we have special things to say about various "food helper" and "drink helper" items. We should presumably mark this item as a "food helper" and mention that it is "automatically used from inventory" so we can see it in the list of foods - and decide if we really want to have it in inventory.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It may be time to tighten up how we handle food & drink helpers. Some of them - munchies pill, Old Scratch's salad fork, Frosty's mug - we allow you to actually queue. Since we now show the queue in the order it will be executed, you can see exactly which helpers will be applied to which food or drink. But the ones which are automatically used from inventory, we probably also allow you to queue (since they are on that list) but it is meaningless to do so; they will be used on earlier items, if they are of the appropriate type to be affected by the helper.

I suppose that would be a (to be written) Feature Request which could be done independently of marking the various other items you called out (black label, Swizzler, twist of lime, shaker of dry rub) as food helper or drink helper, as appropriate.

I see that we mark Swizzler as "multiple, candy". It is, apparently, both a potion and a drink helper...