Feature - Implemented Certain free combats not listed as such

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Some monsters have a "FREE" designation in their attributes in monsters.txt.

All black crayon monsters are missing this designation. I can't remember which (if any) wandering monsters were free fights, but the only things that are listed as such in monsters.txt are hipster fights, bricko fights, seal clubbing seals, halloween fights, skid row houses, and giant rubber spider.

Darzil

Developer
Currently, monsters can have one encounter type in KoLmafia. Black Crayon ones are currently marked WANDERER, and cannot, currently, also be marked FREE.

I guess encounterType could be made to handle multiple encounter types.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Interesting. I'd have expected it to make more sense for them to also be marked as FREE along the lines of hipster monsters, but sure.

Darzil

Developer
It's based on this : http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Encounter

So unless this is wrong, and KoL has different types, then we don't need to.

For the currently implemented use in Mafia itself it's irrelevant at present anyway.

I guess perhaps the wiki, us and maybe even KoL should have a different name for Hipster style combats currently called free fight, to distinguish then from normal combats that happen to be turn free, should such a thing exist, to avoid confusion. It represents the position in the encounter hierarchy, rather than the number of turns used.

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
If that was the case, we wouldn't use FREE at all.

Why not? Section 9 is Free Combat (specifically hipster / goth fights). I'd argue that fundamentally the issue is that FREE got repurposed for other things that aren't really along the same lines (rubber spider is probably supposed to be "WANDERER", seals / bricko / skid row houses probably shouldn't have that designation).

Also, that encounter ontology probably needs another bit for "OVERRIDE" (not really any good terminology I can think of at the moment) for things that happen after C/NC selection but before looking at queue (looking at you, drunken rat kings).