Feature - Implemented Display blackForestProgress during adventures there

It would be great to get a counter of blackForestProgress at the end of fights when you're looking for the Market.

It looks like that preference isn't currently being tracked correctly. So maybe it's best to wait until that bug's fixed. Or maybe it's helpful to display the counter right away, for easier bug-researching. *shrug*

Darzil

Developer
Given KoL shows it itself (Blackberry Bushes, Black Cottage, Mineshaft, Church, Black Market), I wouldn't see much advantage.

Theraze

Does KoL only show it when you hit the non-combat, or does it show it as you're searching combats?

Darzil

Developer
It's in combat text

1. You find a row of blackberry bushes so thick that you can't even see what's on the other side. It's probably just more blackberries, but just in case, you mark the location on your black map.

2. You find a cozy black cottage nestled deep in the forest. From the smoke and anvil noises, you conclude that it's probably either a blacksmith's cottage or an anvil-testing facility with liberal workplace smoking rules. Assuming it's the former, you mark its location on your black map.

3. In a secluded valley surrounded by towering black trees, you spot a mineshaft sunk deep into the black depths of the earth. You mark its location on your black map.

4. In a copse that would be idyllic if it weren't so dark, you find a church that would be picturesque if it wasn't so sinister. You mark its location on your black map, in case you ever want to go to a scary church for some reason. Like if Halloween falls on a Sunday, maybe.

5. At long last, you discover the trail leading to the Black Market. Frustrated that it took so long, you wonder why they didn't just put up a sign. But then you remember what a black market is, and realize why that would have been a bad idea.

Edit - The 24 points to progress thing on the wiki seemed to be being disproved whilst I implemented this one, as things didn't seem to exactly fit. I suspect Jick used a slightly random increment, as he was doing in Twitch streams around the same time, so I used the things we could be sure of.

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I personally would prefer if blackForestProgress just tracked explorations of the zone (or if we had a preference for that), incremented by 1-3 after each won combat (bonuses for having blackbird and/or galoshes). I know it's around 20 explorations for the unlock, but I can't remember the exact number.

(rationale: it'd be more analogous to manorDrawerCount, desertExploration, warehouseProgress, and possibly other preferences I'm forgetting.)

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Some initial thoughts regarding that data: blackberry bush looks to always be 4. Also, something about bird+galoshes ends up with 24 total explorations by the end in that dataset.

Darzil

Developer
The biggest oddity in that data is the variance within the ones where bird and galoshes weren't used. Always 4 for the first, then 3-5 for the second, 3-5 for the third, 3-4 for the fourth and 3-5 for the fifth.

The bird+galoshes only really tells us >21, as the data is adding 3 each time.

Bale

Minion
Personally, I would like it if after the exploration text it said:

(x/5 Landmarks marked on your map)

Darzil

Developer
Maybe it's 3-5 for each of them. Just found a run where I didn't find the blackberry bushes til fight 5. Edit - actually, that happened in two of my last four runs.

Last edited: