Bug - Cannot Reproduce Item manager not loading

digitrev

When trying to load the item manager, the following error occurs (using r15599).

net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.ItemManageFrame could not be loaded

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Works for me, also r15599. Did you build yours or download it? Any possibility that the file is corrupt or inconplete?

My first reaction would be to ask you to try again. More detail is always helpful - are you just starting the program or are you doing something that opens or loads the Item Manager that triggers this? Since you also reported a problem with CHIT and/or SVN does this occur in the absence of that (those?) errors. Disable or uninstall CHIT temporarily?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Code:
net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.ItemManageFrame could not be loaded
This can happen if we throw an exception while the frame is being instantiated. In my experience, you do not get a DEBUG log when that happens. What DOES happen is that a stack trace is printed on my terminal window.

For a Mac, it is easy to do that: open Terminal and execute the .jar file from it via "java -jar KoLmafia-16.8.jar", for example. Obviously, you have to have your shell's paths configured to be able to find java...

I don't use Linux, but I expect it is very similar there, since both Linux and OS X are Unix systems and run basically the same shells and command line tools.

If you are on Windows, I have no advice for you. Never used it, never will.

But, if you can reproduce this and get a stack trace, I can diagnose the problem. Otherwise, there is nothing that I (or anyone) can do to help you.

To get stack trace on Windows - from another thread:

Need to use java.exe, instead of javaw.exe. Sample of trace when recreating the issue with active effects:

Code:
C:\Users\...\Programs\kolmafia>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_31\bin\java.exe" -jar C:\Users\...\Programs\kolmafia\KoLmafia-15517.jar

KoLmafia v16.8 r15517
Released on February 11, 2014

Currently Running on Windows 7
Local Directory is C:\Users\...\Programs\kolmafia
Using Java 1.8.0_31

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.Modifiers.getModifiers(Modifiers.java:1814)

blah

Could probably dispense with some or all of the extra path information depending on your environment settings.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
For a Mac, it is easy to do that: open Terminal and execute the .jar file from it via "java -jar KoLmafia-16.8.jar", for example. Obviously, you have to have your shell's paths configured to be able to find java...

If you are on Windows, I have no advice for you. Never used it, never will.

Explicitly open a command window on Windows, change directory to the one containing the mafia jar file, hope and pray that Java is included in the command shell's path and just "java -jar KoLmafia-15599.jar". That which is not captured in a debug log will appear in the Window. Obviously the name of the jar file will vary but I wanted to paste a command that actually worked.

:)

Darzil

Developer
Thanks to the other thread I can now run Mafia from a batch file that does :
Code:
cd kol
"c:\program files\java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -jar KoLmafia-16.8.jar
pause
Of course, that only works because I always compile locally, so the jar name is always the same.
And of course, each time I use it the stack trace isn't needed!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Of course, that only works because I always compile locally, so the jar name is always the same.

<veer>I once started a tedious discussion about whether the particular revision number could be included in a highly visible location in KoLmafia. When the smoke cleared and the shouting stopped, it turned out that the feature was already there but because I was compiling locally and using a build process that was not the standard for KoLmafia, I wasn't seeing it. I redid all my processes and now am using the ant target that will generate that label. But a side effect of changing the way I did it is that my jar file is named after the revision.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I asked for additional information 2 weeks ago. No response.
Is this "Not a Bug" or "Cannot Reproduce"?