Feature - Rejected Implement familiar training for the purse rat

ereinion

I was going to train my purse rat today, in order to get it ready for some slime tubing, but upon opening the familiar trainer, and selecting "train base weight", I got a message "Don't know how to train a Purse Rat yet". Trying to use the other options in the familiar trainer give the same results. Switching to e.g. the organ grinder and trying to train it works, so this seems to be something which only affect the purse rat - I will admit that I only tried the one other familiar, though.

Having a look in Susie's Secret Bedroom, reveals that mafia knows about the purse rat's strengths and weaknesses, as they are presented on the wiki, so I would think that mafia would be able to figure out a strategy to train the purse rat, even if it is bad at everything (after all its opponents is also bad at some things, and it is higher level than some of them).

So what I am hoping is that someone will take on the work of implementing familiar training for the purse rat, as I would guess that people sometimes would want to level it in order to get that extra edge when attempting to do fast slime tubes.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Code:
109	Purse Rat	purserat.gif	none	designer handbag	tiny cell phone	0	0	0	0
I wonder where Susie's Secret Bedroom is getting that data from, when the data file doesn't have it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I was going to train my purse rat today, in order to get it ready for some slime tubing, but upon opening the familiar trainer, and selecting "train base weight", I got a message "Don't know how to train a Purse Rat yet". Trying to use the other options in the familiar trainer give the same results.
That is because the purse rat, like certain other familiars, is rated 0 in every contest.

Switching to e.g. the organ grinder and trying to train it works, so this seems to be something which only affect the purse rat - I will admit that I only tried the one other familiar, though.
Here are all the familiars that are rated 0/0/0/0:

Code:
45	Pet Rock	familiar45.gif	none	pet rock	pet rock "Snooty" disguise	0	0	0	0
59	Reassembled Blackbird	blackbird2.gif	none	reassembled blackbird	tiny bust of Pallas	0	0	0	0
63	Toothsome Rock	pettoothrock.gif	none	toothsome rock	pet rock "Groucho" disguise	0	0	0	0
67	O.A.F.	oaf.gif	none	Deactivated O. A. F.	hardware upgrade	0	0	0	0
78	Bulky Buddy Box	wcb.gif	none	Bulky Buddy Box		0	0	0	0
93	Black Cat	blackcat.gif	none	black kitten		0	0	0	0
120	Stocking Mimic	smimic.gif	combat	suspicious stocking	bag of many confections	0	0	0	0
122	Jack-in-the-Box	jackinthebox.gif	stat0,item0	Jack-in-the-box	brass crank handle	0	0	0	0
124	Baby Bugged Bugbear	babybugbug.gif	none	panicked kernel	bugged beanie	0	0	0	0
125	Money-Making Goblin	mmgoblin.gif	none			0	0	0	0
126	Floating Eye	lower_e.gif	none			0	0	0	0
127	Vampire Bat	jubjubbird.gif	none			0	0	0	0
128	Oyster Bunny	hare2.gif	none			0	0	0	0
129	Egg Benedict	egg.gif	none			0	0	0	0
130	Bank Piggy	bankpig.gif	none			0	0	0	0
131	Worm Doctor	larva.gif	none			0	0	0	0
132	Snowhitman	snowhitman.gif	none			0	0	0	0
133	Plastic Grocery Bag	grocbag.gif	none			0	0	0	0
144	Holiday Log	holidaylog.gif	none	holiday log		0	0	0	0
147	Reconstituted Crow	blackbird1.gif	none	reconstituted crow		0	0	0	0
152	Fancypants Scarecrow	pantscrow2.gif	none	stuffed-shirt scarecrow		0	0	0	0
162	Reagnimated Gnome	frankengnome.gif	item0	Unagnimated Gnome		0	0	0	0
169	Homemade Robot	homemadebot.gif	none	homemade robot	homemade robot gear	0	0	0	0
180	Miniature Sword & Martini Guy	smguy.gif	combat,stat0	Anniversary Miniature Sword & Martini Guy	really tiny cocktail shaker	0	0	0	0
There are 9 "April Fools" Familiars, which you can't actually have equipped.
There are some that you literally cannot train in the Cake Shaped Arena: the Reagnimated Gnome, for example.
There are some that we have not yet derived the arena parameters for, yet: The Fancypants Scarecrow or the Miniature Sword & Martini Guy. (I'm surprised about the first; I guess I'll try it out, by and by. The second one, I will do as soon as I get my 11th anniversary present in June.)
And then there are others that really do suck at every contest. You CAN train them, but it requires an entirely different algorithm. See below.

reveals that mafia knows about the purse rat's strengths and weaknesses, as they are presented on the wiki,
A comment: we NEVER take arena parameters from the Wiki. We ALWAYS derive them ourself. At least, I do that; typically 12 trials per contest. I cannot tell you how many times I have done that, entered the parameters into KoLmafia's database, and, when I later looked at the Wiki, saw that the Wiki had incorrect parameters. (And before you ask, no I do not update the Wiki when I find that. My previous bad experiences with certain people when I've edited it in the past makes that a non-starter. At this point, I really don't care if the Wiki lags behind KoLmafia in presenting "correct" information, since we do not derive any data from it. It is not my problem.)

so I would think that mafia would be able to figure out a strategy to train the purse rat, even if it is bad at everything (after all its opponents is also bad at some things, and it is higher level than some of them).
The strategy is this:

If your familiar sucks at all contests, ONLY enter a contest against a contestant who also sucks at a contest. If both contestants suck at the contest you enter, you have a 50% chance of winning, I believe, regardless of weight.

So what I am hoping is that someone will take on the work of implementing familiar training for the purse rat, as I would guess that people sometimes would want to level it in order to get that extra edge when attempting to do fast slime tubes.
It is doable, except we'd want to distinguish between familiars that are 0/0/0/0 because we haven't derived the parameters, yet, those that are rated that way because they CAN'T be trained in the arena, and those that really are 0/0/0/0 and require this special training regime.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Code:
I wonder where Susie's Secret Bedroom is getting that data from, when the data file doesn't have it.
The data it is presenting for the purse rat is a red X - i.e., a 0 - for every contest. You can use that frame to force it into a contest against a similarly weak opponent, I believe, by clicking on the button.

ereinion

The strategy is this:

If your familiar sucks at all contests, ONLY enter a contest against a contestant who also sucks at a contest. If both contestants suck at the contest you enter, you have a 50% chance of winning, I believe, regardless of weight.
That was what I expected to happen, although I wasn't aware that the win chance was 50%, regardless of weight. With this in mind the arena doesn't give all that good returns on training with "sucky" familiars, so implementing this request probably won't do much good.

Thanks a lot for your exhaustive reply, it was really interesting to hear a bit about the thinking which goes into creating and updating mafia :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Well, it's probably not very effective at leveling familiars, but if you want to get the familiar items, the arena is a possibility. I collect (sort of) tiny busts of Pallas, since I like the Poe reference. Used to be, the only way to get those was in the Arena with a 0/0/0/0 familiar. However, ever since Clip Art came out, boxes of familiar jacks are a heck of a lot easier, 3 times a day.

As I said, we could do this, but I'm not feeling personally motivated to do it. :-/

ereinion

Yeah, and since I am both unfamiliar with Java / the KoLmafia project, and my motivation for getting this implemented would be in order to level my purse rat, I am very fine with that :) To be totally honest I suppose I would have been kinda ok with you not catering to my every whim, even if I had a strong motivation for this feature to be implemented ;)

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Aside, leveling your purse rat is a lot easier by just boosting familiar experience (e.g. having at least 50 turns of Blue Swayed from pulled blue taffy) and fighting in a 100% combat zone.