Bug - Fixed Skills casting tab / window does not redraw

In r15508 and r15509 (seems ok in r15507 and earlier), when logged in, the skills casting tab is not fully redrawn after the first visit when moving among tabs. Also happens when displayed as separate window. Nothing shows up in debug log.

The first dropdown is redrawn under some conditions and the recovery items tab appear to be redrawn when moused over. And sometimes covering the window with another window and then uncovering it will cause some or all of the tab to be redrawn.

KoLmafia v16.8 r15509, Windows 7, Java 1.8.0_31

Ensiferum

Same thing is happening with the Daily Deeds tab while open in a separate window (r15509). Before I saw this post I thought it's just becoming unresponsive, but you can actually still navigate through the menus and close/reopen it fine, so definitely a drawing issue.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
For what it's worth, I've seen stuff like this with the main window for years, rarely happens though. And putting another window over it briefly always fixes it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I've never seen it. That includes now; this is simply not happening for me.
The revisions that you suspect did nothing to the GUI code.

Ensiferum

I have never in 3+ years of using mafia seen this happen, and my daily deeds window is almost always open at the "effects" tab. Putting other windows on top of it do nothing to fix it.

Whatever the revision did or did not, the fact is it was not happening in the builds before 15508 and is happening in any build since. It did not change GUI code, but it changed something in handling effects, and since I'm using that window mainly for effects display, it's almost constantly stuck.

This does not occur when not logged in and viewing the (empty) active effects tab on skills casting, or in daily deeds. Logging in, as long as I don't try to click on an effect, the active effects view appears to behave normally. As soon as I click on an effect, the entire tab containing the list (daily deeds, skill casting) stops redrawing properly.

Ensiferum

It seems stuff is getting worse.

I decided to give another try to the newest build - 15517.
Even without touching anything related to effects on a freshly started Mafia the dropdowns for the item slots in "Gear Changer" tab aren't being redrawn for extended periods of time, so it's impossible to switch any equipment through it.

I'll have to resort to 15507, it seems.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Yesterday, on my other computer which is java 1.7 and Windows 7, `I had a similar problem with the adventure tab. My default tab at start up is the gCLI and when I switched to the adventure tab I had a mix of dark areas and residue from the gCLI. As I moused over portions of the adventure tab the various components would render. I was actually able to interact with the screen and auto adventure. That was frustrating so I shut down KoLmafia completely and restarted and the problem did not reoccur. I have seen something like this in non-KoLmafia Java programs and it was not repeatable or ever actually solved.

The unproven hypothesis elsewhere was that something was interfering with the Swing thread in a way that made it think it had repainted when it had not. The observation that several people have had this happen recently may point to a recent KoLmafia change where "more" work is being done on the Swing thread but the fact that this is not reliably repeatable suggests it will never actually get addressed.

ereinion

I've also had these issues with the skillpane for the last day or two, using Windows 7 and Java 1.8.0_31. Never saw it before.

Darzil

Developer
I am seeing it too, and I think it relates to something in one of the 100's of lines of code the Effect changes touched. None of them dealt directly with rendering, however. I guess there must be a thread getting into a loop somewhere. I am going to keep looking for the cause though.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I am seeing it too, and I think it relates to something in one of the 100's of lines of code the Effect changes touched. None of them dealt directly with rendering, however. I guess there must be a thread getting into a loop somewhere. I am going to keep looking for the cause though.
I am guessing it is a change to the compareTo method for AdventureResults as they apply to effects; since the effects pane is sorted, that method is called a lot. I am looking hard at that method.

Contrary to frono's snide comment, "doesn't happen all the time" doesn't imply "won't be looked at".
On the other hand "doesn't happen at all to ME" does imply "I am probably not the right one to look at it."

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Just to add data showing that it's not OS or java version specific - Win XP SP3, Java 1.6.0_26.
Although nobody has said that it was OS or java version specific, your data actually suggests that it might be; my Mac Java is not having this issue, but multiple people with Windows variants are having the issue.

If there is any part of the Java runtime that is likely to differ dramatically between OS's, it will be the code that interacts with the native windowing system.

Windows 8.1, Java 1.8.0_25
Just saw this for the first time ever on the gear changer panel.

r15514 made various changes affecting AdventureFrame updates, is it possible that's causing any issues?
Edit - Just saw its being reported about versions previous to that revision so scratch that.

Last edited:

iamacow

For what it's worth, I started getting the problem in the last couple of days as well and haven't seen it before. I tested on a java 1.7.0_51, windows 7 32-bit computer and java 1.8 (forget the update number, probably not important?) on a 64-bit windows 8 laptop. Hopefully this contributes something, maybe just further evidence it's a windows thing.

Ensiferum

@Veracity - fair point about Windows; even though I occasionaly use various Linux distros my brain seems to be set on the "Win = the OS" course. :)

As for the Gear Changer problems - those weren't present in earlier builds (like r15509), where the issue for me was mainly in the Active Effects tab of Daily Deeds window, so there might be separate places to look at.

Ensiferum

After spending some turns with the latest 15519 I haven't yet observed any of the reported issues. Since those were showing up pretty much instantly in the previous 10 builds, there's a chance that you managed to track down the cause. :cool:

Will observe a bit longer after ascending to Ed, but I suggest others that experienced the problems try out with that build.