Feature - Implemented Add Monsters to the Encyclopedia

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 17378 adds a bunch of stuff:

- The right-click context menu you get in the Monster section of the Encyclopedia only has two options on it now: Game Description and Wiki Description. The latter will locate the Wiki page and open in in the browser for you. As it turns out, there are quite a few ambiguous monsters, so, just as we have a Manuel: attribute (available via $monster.manuel_name), there is now a Wiki: attribute (accessible via $monster.wiki_name).
- There is now a NOMANUEL attribute (visible in $monster.attributes) if the monster is known to not have a Manuel entry. This should allow missingManuel.ash to no longer keep a hardcoded list of "blocked" monsters.
- I assigned a bunch of monsters negative monster IDs so they will show up in the Encyclopedia
- At the bottom of the Monster Data part of the description there is now a horizontal line with "Other stuff..." under it. That is where I will put other stuff. :)
- Certain of the images were in otherimages, not adventureimages. The Barrelmech of Diogenes, Mother Slime, The Hermit, and so on. These should now display correctly.

And, holy cow, take a look at that Crimbomega!

Things yet to be done:

- Add Wiki: names to various monsters that need them. I only added the to spooky vampire (Spooky Forest) and spooky vampire (Dreadsylvanian Castle). I am sure there are others. I wouldn't mind some help identifying those.
- Actually code the "Other stuff".

And have somebody - lost? - ask the KoL admins for permission to get the actual monster IDs for the following monsters. (Or, perhaps, ask them to give them to him so he can submit them, if he can't see them himself):

Code:
Baiowulf	-100	baiowulf.gif
Count Bakula	-99	bakula.gif
Crazy Bastard	-98	bastard.gif
Hypnotist of Hey Deze	-97	hypnotist.gif
infinite meat bug	-96	meatbug.gif
Knott Slanding	-95	slanding.gif
pooltergeist (ultra-rare)	-94	poolter2.gif
QuickBASIC Elemental	-93	qbasicele.gif
The Master of Thieves	-92	masterat.gif
The Nuge	-91	thenuge.gif
The Temporal Bandit	-90	timebandit.gif

Count Drunkula (Hard Mode)	-89	drunkula_hm.gif
Falls-From-Sky (Hard Mode)	-88	fallsfromsky_hm.gif
Great Wolf of the Air (Hard Mode)	-87	wolfoftheair_hm.gif
Mayor Ghost (Hard Mode)	-86	mayorghost_hm.gif
The Unkillable Skeleton (Hard Mode)	-85	ukskeleton_hm.gif
Zombie Homeowners' Association (Hard Mode)	-84	zombiehoa_hm.gif

Underworld Tree	-83	shiv_underworld.gif
Edwing Abbidriel	-82	edwing.gif
Don Crimbo	-81	doncrimbo.gif
Uncle Hobo	-80	unclehobo.gif
Crimbomega	-79	crimbomega.gif

spirit alarm clock	-78	spiritalclock.gif

giant pumpkin-head	-77	headpumpkin.gif
large-headed werewolf	-76	headwolf.gif
oddly-proportioned ghost	-75	headghost.gif

Disorganized Files	-74	c10files.gif
Endless Conference Call	-73	c10confcall.gif
Hideous Slide Show	-72	c10slideshow.gif
Tedious Spreadsheet	-71	c10spreadsheet.gif
Unoptimized Database	-70	c10database.gif
The Book Of Faces	-69	c10faces.gif
The Tome Of Tropes	-68	c10tropes.gif
Totally Malicious 'Zine	-67	c10tmz.gif
The Water Cooler	-66	c10cooler.gif
The Best Game Ever	-65	c10bge.gif

CDMoyer's Butt	-64	butt.gif
Hotstuff's Butt	-63	butt.gif
Jick's Butt	-62	butt.gif
Mr. Skullhead's Butt	-61	butt.gif
Multi Czar's Butt	-60	butt.gif
Riff's Butt	-59	butt.gif

Caveman Dan	-58	cavedan.gif

Hammered Yam Golem	-57	drunkyam.gif
Inebriated Tofurkey	-56	drunktofurkey.gif
Plastered Can of Cranberry Sauce	-55	drunkcrancan.gif
Soused Stuffing Golem	-54	drunkstuffing.gif

Trollipop	-53	trollipop.gif
The Colollilossus	-52	colollilossus.gif
The Fudge Wizard	-50	fudgewizard.gif
The Abominable Fudgeman	-49	fudgeman.gif

The Sagittarian	-48	sagittarian.gif
Frank "Skipper" Dan, the Accordion Lord	-47	accboss.gif

The Hermit	-46	otherimages/hermit.gif

Mob Penguin Smasher	-45	pengsmasher.gif
Mob Penguin Smith	-44	hazmatpeng.gif
Mob Penguin Supervisor	-43	pengphone.gif

<s>Killer</s> Festive Arc-Welding Elfbot	-42	borgelf1.gif
<s>Killer</s> Festive Decal-Applying Elfbot	-41	borgelf4.gif
<s>Killer</s> Festive Laser-Calibrating Elfbot	-40	borgelf2.gif
<s>Killer</s> Festive Weapons-Assembly Elfbot	-39	borgelf3.gif

7-Foot Dwarf	-38	miner.gif
Note that we have the Hockey Elemental, but not the other ULTRARARE monsters.
Note that we have the Chatty Coworker and Your Overflowing Inbox from Crimbo 2010, but not the others.

Some of those might have been recycled. For example, I think the Elfbots became the Elfborgs the following year.

Bale

Minion
I got the following text at log in. I never saw it before:

Code:
Manuel says that 'sleaze bugbear' (1396) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'sleaze ghost' (1411) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'sleaze skeleton' (1421) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'sleaze vampire' (1416) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'sleaze werewolf' (1401) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'sleaze zombie' (1406) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'Source Agent' (1945) 'Never wins initiative', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'spooky bugbear' (1394) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'spooky ghost' (1409) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'spooky skeleton' (1419) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'spooky vampire' (1414) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'spooky werewolf' (1399) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'spooky zombie' (1404) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'stench bugbear' (1395) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'stench ghost' (1410) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'stench skeleton' (1420) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'stench vampire' (1415) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'stench werewolf' (1400) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0
Manuel says that 'stench zombie' (1405) 'Initiative +25%', but KoLmafia says it is 0

Related to these updates or is it a change to their stats in KoL?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 17381 should fix all the Wiki links for monsters. I also corrected the capitalization of a bunch of old monsters per what the Wiki shows; we used to capitalize all the words of monsters but then changed to agree with what KoL actually shows, but didn't/couldn't do it for obsolete monsters. But, I assume the Wiki actually saved the text of the combat, so, believe it.

I also made a change which will affect scripts. We differentiate slime tube monsters to reflect the different images and drops you get at different monster levels. We call them slime1, slime2, slime3, slime4, and slime5. I don't see why we shouldn't call them what KoL (and the Wiki) call them, so, now they are Slime, Slime Hand, Slime Mouth, Slime Construct, and Slime Colossus. I also gave them negative monster numbers - although KoL probably uses the same monster number - so we can see them in the Encyclopedia.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 17384 fills in the "Other Stuff":

It either says that the monster is a wanderer or that it appears in areas X, Y, and Z, or doesn't appear in a known area.
Says if monster is a Boss, is Ultrarare, or is Semirare.
Gives Meat Drop range, if any.
Gives Item Drops, if any.

I had an issue with HTML rendering - perhaps with Java's implementation. I want this:

(image up to 350 wide) (30 pixel column) (50 pixel column) (30 pixel column) (text that fills remainder of screen - and resizes)
(...image goes down to here) (text that spans whatever the width of the 4 columns is).

Not specifying a width for the "text that fills remainder" column works fine - until I have a lot of text in the "text that spans whatever" element - at which point, THAT fills width of screen and my fixed-width columns are no longer fixed width.

As I said, looks like a Java bug; a Browser does not behave that way.

In order to get that to not happen, I have to specify a width for the fifth column.

I'll fiddle with this and see if I can figure out a workaround (and I will happily accept suggestions!), but otherwise, this is as done as it's going to be.

- There are surely errors in particular monster data - not to mention missing monster IDs. We can fix those as found, but this feature doesn't not depend on the errors being fixed.
- If we add zarqon's request - a monster "type" - ghost, werewolf, whatever - then this should probably be updated to show that, but, again, this feature doesn't need to wait for that. Augmenting this will be part of implementing the other.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
And... perhaps revision 17385 has an adequate workaround.

You tell me how it looks for you with the pygmy witch accountant when you make the description window wider and narrower

Bale

Minion
It is amazing! You really went above and beyond with this. It was worth waiting for. (I would have marked it Implemented some time ago, but you kept adding bells and whistles.)

The only negative commentary I can make is that by comparison the other sections of the Encyclopedia are lacking.