Universal Recovery Script

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Piling on to an off topic discussion, I find that I am not enough of a spade to even learn what is optimal play. I have a job. I have a life. I design and write optimal algorithms (as well as "good enough ones") and code professionally. KoL is a game, a diversion, a guilty pleasure. All that said, I have learned much about playing the game optimally by discussions of features included in scripts and learned by reading scripts. So I am all in favor of making a script play as optimally as possible, as understood by the author. I then appreciate features that make it easy for me to use the script in a way that the author considers sub-optimal - which are usually preferences and tweaking parameters.

My preference for getting something to work before getting it to work well, combined with my goal of automation leads me to select automation over optimality if I have a choice.

slyz

Developer
I think the problem is when you want to be optimal and generalist. The logic becomes very complicated when you want to take into account all the items, skills, or even play style, players can have.

Winterbay

Will this script be updated to incorporate the fact that you cannot use Knob-restorers while in the b-challenge? (or should I try to edit the script myself?)

Bale

Minion
Universal recovery v 3.88 released!

Changelog:
version 3.88 May 18, 2011
  • Bees Hate You, but Universal Recovery loves you!
  • Add invisible setting set baleUr_ignoreStatus = true
    to prevent UR from recovering any status effects including Beaten Up.

Last edited:

Winterbay

Hmm... I got the following "Map modified within foreach (Universal_recovery.ash, line 1571)", which makes no sense as that map is not being modified (or is it?).

slyz

Developer
On line 1570, "heal[reserve]" will create an entry in "heal" if "heal[reserve]" didn't already exist. $item[Xlyinia's notebook] is the default "reserve" item, it was probably removed because it has a "b" in it.

Bale

Minion
Universal recovery v 3.881 & 3.882 released!

Changelog:
version 3.882 May 18, 2011
  • Universal Recovery loves you better.
    Bugs in the previous version have been fixed.
  • Bees also Hate plump juicy grubs

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Hey Bale (which sounds like an agricultural product, but I digress)

I have been cursing you out because automation stops with me beaten up in spite of my best attempts to tune settings so that doesn't happen. Turns out I consistently miss a big one and it's all my own darn fault. When a character Ascends something resets the AutoRecovery options to "Don't" and so all my cursing at you was horribly misplaced. This is nothing more than operator error so nothing needs to change. Public humiliation might help me to remember to check the setting before I start a new run. Thank you for all the times I get the settings right and UR quietly goes about its business.

Theraze

fronobulax, if you use newLife, that sets the automation levels down to nearly nothing... I actually tweak it myself back to the settings I prefer, but if you have a postAscension script like that in place, check for hpAutoRecovery and mpAutoRecovery (and their 'Target' values as well). Speaking of which, apparently I broke my copy of NewLife sometime recently, as it doesn't have the settings in there I actually use. Time to scan and see what else I might have lost. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
KoLmafia itself disables automatic HP and MP recovery when you ascend:

Code:
		// Reset certain settings that the player almost certainly will
		// use differently at the beginning of a run vs. at the end.

MoodManager.setMood( "apathetic" );
		Preferences.setFloat( "hpAutoRecovery",	-0.05f );
		Preferences.setFloat( "mpAutoRecovery",	-0.05f );

Theraze

Well, that would explain it then. And make using a postAscension script even more valuable, if you're prone to forgetting.

Bale

Minion
newLife actually turns HP restoration activation back up to 25%. :D
But newLife only turns MP restoration activation up to 0 MP. (Perhaps I should leave it off altogether?) Since that is tough to do at turn 1.

fronobulax, thank you for a compliment... I think.

Theraze

It still wants to use herbs with 3.882... I put a my_path() != "Bees Hate You" in my copy, but it's a sad waste of meat to store it for aftercore.

Bale

Minion
Universal recovery v 3.883 released!

Changelog:
version 3.883 May 22, 2011
  • Bees Hate medicinal herbs.

Last edited: