Where could someone learn basic script/ash writing?

hallehoopma

Suppose I wanted to eventually become helpful rather than a taker -- I would like to learn the things you guys do but I am an old woman and there literally were no personal computers when I went to school/grad school etc. I think I can pick some up, if only to play myself, but could I be pointed to at least the correct terms to search for this self-learning?

Thanks!

hallehoopma, your best resource for ASH is the KoLmafia Wiki. It can be accessed via the "Wiki" link in the top bar. The Wiki is helpfully divided into sections by task type, and has code samples as well.

ereinion

As wrldwzrd said the wiki is a good place to begin, I seem to remember that there is an introduction to ash-scripting in SingingSally's guide: http://wiki.kolmafia.us/index.php?title=KoLmafia_Guide:_An_Introduction_to_Scripting Though having looked closer at it, it seems that it is actually Bale who's written the scripting guide. Not that it matters all that much, I am sure that we carry warm feelings for them both in our hearts anyway.

If you feel that it is a lot to read, feel free to contact me in chat, I am something of a beginner myself, but hopefully I can give you some pointers at least :)

Bale

Minion
It was SinginSally that wrote that. I only transfered it to the wiki from the forum.

hallehoopma

Wow - I use the mafia wiki frequently but I never saw these parts - or maybe I saw the latter lessons. In any event this is exactly what I was looking for. I considered taking an actual class but then I just knew you guys know more and also what I want. Thanks!!!

This is probably my favorite page on the wiki ;). Other then the wiki, I suggest you read other peoples scripts, espicially if they relate to things you want to do. Also, use notepad++ if you do not already.

This is probably my favorite page on the wiki ;). Other then the wiki, I suggest you read other peoples scripts, espicially if they relate to things you want to do. Also, use notepad++ if you do not already.
Assuming (that other people use Windows, which you have done) makes an ass out of you and me. ;)

I think it is a safe assumption. Most people have access to Windows. Even if they didn't, then they could find a similar program to Notepad++ and use that.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Also, the KoLMafia command 'ashref' is useful to check out and search ash functions.
Also, working through scripting problems here (on this forum) usually gets a boatload of responses and helpful suggestions from many scripters. Feel free to post code when you need help. And good luck!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I think it is a safe assumption. Most people have access to Windows. Even if they didn't, then they could find a similar program to Notepad++ and use that.
Fascinating attitude you have here. I'm with wrldwzrd89 on this one.

Speaking for myself, henceforth, I think I'll just let you get support from fellow Windows users. Not like you'll be missing anything, after all, since that's "everybody", right?

Fascinating attitude you have here. I'm with wrldwzrd89 on this one.

Speaking for myself, henceforth, I think I'll just let you get support from fellow Windows users. Not like you'll be missing anything, after all, since that's "everybody", right?

Not sure why people are getting antsy about a simple assumption. A quick internet search gives ~90% of people use Windows, which sounds about right (source 1, source 2). Those that don't use Windows, tend to have dual boot capabilities or another computer that has Windows.

However, the point of the post was to give ideas for color coded text options, something no one told me about when I first started scripting in ASH but made a huge difference when I stumbled upon it. They don't have to use Notepad++, but I'd strongly encourage they used some sort of program that will color code text. It makes looking through code so much nicer.

Lastly, I never said it was "everybody". I said "Most people have access to Windows" which is certainly not "everybody". Now, if you want to argue about whether 9/10 people qualify as "most" or not, that is an entirely different subject.

Although I honestly feel like all this is very off topic, the guy just wanted advice on what is useful for a new scripter. I don't see where all the Windows arguments come into play. A simple comment saying "Oh, if you don't use Windows, you should instead try XXX instead of Notepad++." would have sufficed and been more useful to him.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
1) You gave Windows-specific advice. In particular, you said "Also, use notepad++ if you do not already." One sentence. No explanation as to WHY you recommended that.
2) Somebody pointed out that it was Windows-specific
3) You COULD have said "oh, right. Well, if you are not using Windows, then you can't use that program. I recommended it because <reasons>. Look for a program on your platform which does that!"
4) Instead, you doubled down, and said that even if someone didn't use Windows normally, most people could. Still no explanation about your one-line suggestion (command?).
5) Which expressed the attitude of, well, duh - why wouldn't someone just use Windows and use the program I told them to use?

So, you gave a one-liner suggestion and didn't say word one about WHY you made that suggestion. Even when your assumption was challenged, your response didn't elaborate; it was a defensive reaction to justify your assumption.

And now, when you respond a second time, you start out with another defensive reaction of your assumption! Unbelievable.

This time, however, you actually did include some explanation of why you like Notepad++.

A simple comment saying "Oh, if you don't use Windows, you should instead try XXX instead of Notepad++." would have sufficed and been more useful to him.
Do you really not understand how this is an inappropriate response to your one-line "suggestion", considering that you never explained why you made it? Here is a non-machine-specific way to say what you SHOULD have said:

"Make sure you use an editor which does not insert formatting into the text, like Word does. You want something which manipulates plain text. Every OS comes with such an editor - Notepad, Textedit, what have you - although many people like fancier editors with syntax highlighting and such."

Sheesh. Your first note did not offend me. Your second one, with its assumption that since "most people" have "access to a Windows computer", obviously they'd want to go seek one out in order to edit scripts, rather than using their usual computer, did. Your third note - aside from the continued defensive doubling down (or would it be tripling down?) - actually contained some useful information about WHY you'd made your initial suggestion/command.

As a data point for you, I've been using Unix variants for, probably, longer than you've been alive, bought a Mac II when it came out and have owned Macs ever since, and, aside from one summer of Java contracting, have never in my life used Windows professionally or personally. I work out of my house. There are no Windows computers here. I suppose I could install Windows on Parallels - but why in the world would I want to do that? It would not help me in any way, either professionally or personally.

And for the record, I use Emacs - but unless halle already knows it, I do NOT suggest that she use that editor. :)

Magus_Prime

I use Emacs - but unless halle already knows it, I do NOT suggest that she use that editor. :)

I love Emacs! It does have a steep learning curve but I can't think of any other editor that lets you play Towers of Hanoi and Tetris, among others, from within itself. :rolleyes:

Magus_Prime

While my post was, just a bit, tongue in cheek, Emacs can also be configured to work as a complete IDE and, if your Lisp skills are good enough you could probably make it fight a giant robot.

hallehoopma

Wow - no matter where I go or what I say, I end up in the middle of a Linux v Mac v Windows v other OS debate ;)

Meanwhile - I thank you for the help again. And while we're at it, I use Linux at home, Mac for doing musical duties, and we're Windows at work and probably always shall be. I don't, however, know E-macs, and I'm not sure if I should even think about it seeing the above. I do use. And today I was able to do a ton of stuff on my own. I've only installed a few other scripts (for horrid tasks, like the Nemesis quest) and I edited some of the code and everything worked - so I'm just very excited!

Thanks much everyone! Halle