New Content - Implemented Volcano map is now [use]

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Due to change in KoL, secret tropical island volcano lair map is now USED to access the volcano.

> ash use(1,$item[secret tropical island volcano lair map]);

secret tropical island volcano lair map is unusable.
Returned: true

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I assume that you can go straight to adventure locations there (otherwise, the Last Adventure link wouldn't work).

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I assume that you can go straight to adventure locations there (otherwise, the Last Adventure link wouldn't work).

Agreed. No need to actually [use] the map, though the error message is somewhat misleading.

xKiv

Immediately after defeating mariachi with no name, in cli :)
Code:
> inv secret tropical island volcano lair map

secret tropical island volcano lair map

> adventure 1 the island barracks

Returned: false

Visit to Volcano: The Island Barracks in progress...
You can't get to that area.

(the "Returned: false" are from things in my mood)

Issuing "/goto adventure.php?snarfblat=220" in chat results in "You shouldn't be here.".

Issuing "/use secret tropical island volcano lair map" from chat takes me to the container zone, after which snarfblat 220 is accessible.

Should mafia track whether the map has been already used this ascension (in other words, whether the volcano is actually accessible)?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I hate the plethora of "you must do such-and-such to unlock this area for adventuring" things that have been creeping in to the game.

I think we should just auto-use the map when we acquire it.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Ugh. That is ugly.
I cannot conceive of a reason why the map should not be auto-used.

PeKaJe

The only reason not to automatically use it would be that it prevents people from seeing the flavor text, which is a very minor problem. There's a setting called autoQuest, which seems to currently be used for automatically reading the lady Spookyraven messages and the mortar-dissolving recipe (with glasses if possible). It would be logical to use the same to automatically use the volcano map. Oh, and if the [guild] link could be switched with a [use], it would give people using the relay browser a direct link to the island when the last assassin is encountered.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Does it go away once you have used it the first time? That would be odd; the Macguffin diary does not go away.

If it does not go away, we mark it "reusable", and voila.

Since I am in a lazy Normal run, with pulls to spare, I plan to do this today:

- Pull 2 Clownosity +2 items
- Fight the Clownlord
- Do the Nemesis Cave
- Fight the Nemesis Assassins and get the volcano map.

I plan to code the following:

- When you receive the map:
-- Read it automatically (and say so), just as we do with the MacGuffin diary
-- If you are in the Relay Browser, decorate the response to the fight.php request that netted you the map with a topmenu refresh - which will make the "volcano" link appear in the topmenu without you having to refresh it.

The map remains in your inventory

You only get the flavor text once. Subsequent uses after the first take you directly to the Volcano Island (i.e. it adds the content from volcanoisland.php to the top of whatever is currently loaded in the main frame).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I figured out how this works.

When you "use" the map via inv_use.php?which=3&whichitem=3291&pwd
it redirects to volcanoisland.php?intro=1

That "intro=1" is what gives you the flavor text in addition to the map. You can repeat that any time you want to see the flavor text again.

The map does not force a topmenu refresh, but if you force one yourself (ot close the browser window and reopen it), there will be a "volcano" link up there.

Before I got the map, I set up the UseLinkDecorator to give me TWO use links: an inline use link that went to inv_use.php, as above - but with ajax=1 - and the old "guild" link.

There is no longer anything special in the guild; the NPC no longer says "you need to find a boat".

So, this is what needs to happen for this:

- The map is marked "reusable"
- When you first get it, either automated or in the Relay Browser, automatically "use" it, as we do with the MacGuffin diary.
- If you get it after a fight in the Relay Browser, after using it, as above, insert a topmenu refresh into the response to the fight that we send down to the browser. This is known technology; insert "<script>top.menupane.location.href="topmenu.php";</script>" before "</body>" and the browser will refresh the top menu and the "volcano" link will magically appear. I have a method - RequestEditorKit.addTopMenuRefresh - which will do this.
- If you get it in the Relay Browser, provide a "use" link. No "guild" link is necessary.

I don't think that automatically using it needs to depend on autoQuest.

... the NPC no longer says "you need to find a boat". ...

Huh - I swear I saw this yesterday (two rollovers ago). As PM, after breaking prism from HCO, after last assassin, before using the map. I remember thinking to myself, "I thought this text was supposed to be gone".

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 15309 attempts this:

- When you get the volcano map, automatically read it
- If the fight that gave it to you was in the Relay Browser, force a topmenu refresh to get the "volcano" link
- If the fight was in the Relay Browser, give the map a "read" link which goes to volcanoisland.php?intro=1. This will let you see the flavor text.

No "guild" link.

Somebody without our automation, upon receiving the map, might navigate to the guild, talk to the SCG, see text that says "you need to find your own boat", navigate to inventory, and read the map, and see the flavor text that says you have found a boat - or, just as likely, upon getting the map, they'll look at it in inventory, see it has a use link, read it and see the flavor text - and if they then talk to the SCG in the guild, nothing.

I see no reason to defer reading the map on the (unlikely) chance that you'll want to go see the flavor text from the SCG in the guild - assuming it is still there.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I just tested this again in-run and it behaved exactly the way I wanted it to: when the map dropped, we auto-read it and refreshed the topmenu so you the "volcano" link appeared. The [read] link on the map showed me the map, complete with intro text.

I think this is done.