Feature - Implemented Maximizer equips based on attack stat

Fluxxdog

For a long time, if you wanted to use Muscle-based weapons, you would use 'melee' in the maximizer. Conversely, if you wanted to use Moxie-based weapons, you would use '-melee'.

Then came Tricky Knifework and through that in the toilet.

'melee' and '-melee' have different meanings now, such as avoiding the Procrastination Giant's sneeze. If you want a Moxie-based weapon and want knives to be included in that choice for the Maximizer, there is no way to do that. Entering '-melee' disallows knives, entering 'type knife' disallows all other weapons.

My request is to introduce a keyword to allow selecting weapons based on a stat. For example, 'type muscle' would choose a weapon that would use muscle to attack, including chefstaves (they use muscle for to-hit and damage). Meanwhile, 'type moxie' would select weapons that use moxie, including knives when you have high moxie and Tricky Knifework.

I was just running into this myself, and was searching to see if anyone had brought it up or if it was already resolved. I hope nobody minds if I bump this; I'd love a way to have the maximizer look at all moxie-based weapons, including knives if we have the skill.

Personally I wouldn't care if we had to check for the skill ourselves; if something like "-melee, type knife" together would allow both that'd be grand. I think right now though the conflict would end up excluding both, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

Darzil

Developer
Try r16052, which introduces +effective. If muscle higher than moxie, only considers melee weapons. If moxie higher than muscle, only considers ranged weapons, and knives if Tricky Knifework known.

Awesome, thank you!! I don't currently have any standard moxie classes, but I just tested it some with Sneaky Pete and it seems to work exactly like one would expect it to.

Edit: On my Pastamancer, using "+effective, +spell damage", the maximizer suggested a staff of the kitchen floor in my mainhand and a wrench in my off-hand. That's not a bug or anything, I just had a good chuckle visualizing it.

Last edited:

Fluxxdog

BCA found a side-effect of using +melee and +effective together. Using both for an Accordion Thief, and likely other moxie classes that do not have Tricky Knifework, will cause the maximizer to fail every time. The code that snagged this little gem was
Code:
0 beeosity, mainstat 999999999 max, .25 item power, weapon damage, ranged damage, +effective +moxie experience +0.5 mp regen min +0.5 mp regen max, .5 hp, +equip amulet of extreme plot significance, +equip titanium assault umbrella, +melee 0.0 random monster modifiers
Not really a bug, but it did come up. Thought you might want to know.

Theraze

Well, melee and effective are somewhat in the same category, and so the newer should provide a 0 on the other. So +melee, +effective should be 0 melee, +effective. And +effective, +melee should be 0 effective, +melee.

Darzil

Developer
I suspect the issue there is specifying a melee weapon that isn't a knife, and a knife or ranged weapon. Would need to run 2 dump to be sure though. Or indeed use +knife instead of +melee and +effective.

Fluxxdog

Nah, if you use +melee, +effective as your only criteria, maximizer will fail every time for non-Tricky moxies. Hadn't tried -melee +effective for Muscle or Myst classes, I don't have access to those at the moment.

Theraze

Depends on if you hold melee and effective as related or separate. If you hold them as related, then using one should override the older call - much like doing "maximize items, -melee, 0 melee, +melee, 0 melee" will actually just do "maximize items" because only the last melee matters and you ended up knocking it out. If they're related, "maximize items, melee, effective" should just be "maximize items, effective" rather than looking for effective melee items.