Bug - Won't Fix Odd monster reading

Fluxxdog

Code:
[9427] The Dungeons of Doom
Encounter: Ferocious bugbear.</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>
Strategy: F:\Programs\KoLmafia\ccs\default.ccs [default]
Round 0: fluxxdog wins initiative!
Caught sight of this as I was dancing around with teleportitis. It seemed I stepped into the Haiku Dungeon and something didn't get interpreted correctly. Session log showed:
Code:
Encounter: Ferocious bugbear.</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>
Round 0: fluxxdog wins initiative!
I have no idea where to look for what's making it print that.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
We do special Haiku parsing if you are either in the Haiku Dungeon or have the katana effect.

If you have Teleportitis, the game gives us absolutely no indication where you are adventuring - on the fight page. It does set the "Last Adventure" link in the charpane, but we have not seen the charpane by the time we decide to parse the fight page and figure out where you are.

I had a conversation with CDM, years ago, back when he had more time to actually talk to non-devs, in which I suggested/requested that KoL insert an HTML comment or something into encounter pages (fight, choice, or noncombat) with the same information that goes in to the Last Adventure link. He said he thought that would be hard.

I suppose we could stick special code in for Teleportitis: if you are going to an adventure.php location, Teleportitis will send you somewhere else, and after we submit the request and get the reply, but before we parse it, we could ask for api.php, and find out where you really adventured. That's an extra server hit per encounter, but only under Teleportitis. Actually, if you are automating, we could probably suppress the implicit call to api.php that we do AFTER parsing the response.

Seems like a lot of work for a rare situation. Don't hold your breath.

Bale

Minion
If you have Teleportitis, the game gives us absolutely no indication where you are adventuring - on the fight page. It does set the "Last Adventure" link in the charpane, but we have not seen the charpane by the time we decide to parse the fight page and figure out where you are.

I had a conversation with CDM, years ago, back when he had more time to actually talk to non-devs, in which I suggested/requested that KoL insert an HTML comment or something into encounter pages (fight, choice, or noncombat) with the same information that goes in to the Last Adventure link. He said he thought that would be hard.

Maybe lost could bring this up again for us. Lost?

Fluxxdog

Seems like a lot of work for a rare situation. Don't hold your breath.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I brought it up because, well, unexpected results, but then again not a lot of people commonly adventure with a ring of teleportation. Well, this Crimbo notwithstanding ^^

Bale

Minion
It seems to me that an easier (albeit less general) solution would be to ask CDM to add an HTML comment to the page that would inform mafia if it should parse the page for Haiku or Anapests. I'm sure that would be easier for CDM to implement.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Well, that would let us parse the page correctly. What I REALLY want is to log the encounter correctly. So, if you last adventured in the Dungeon of Doom and teleport to the Haiku Dungeon, I want to log:

[9427] The Haiku Dungeon

(and set next adventure appropriately) not

xKiv

I can imagine. (the code for deciding what adventure you get is probably not super clean, and might not even have a single common place between making the decision and executing it)
But, perhaps ... there may have been some refactoring in the past few years that would make this easier?