Feature - Rejected Icon on daily builds

blech

Official builds get the kolmafia icon, I think daily builds should too. It looks nicer than the default jar icon.

Bale

Minion
That would be nice, but I don't think it is possible for a jar file to have a customized icon.

I'm not closing the feature request though, because I want confirmation of that fact.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
That would be nice, but I don't think it is possible for a jar file to have a customized icon.

I'm not closing the feature request though, because I want confirmation of that fact.

Now I'm confused, if only because the daily builds and the release builds are both jar files. I know that one of the places there is (was?) operating specific code in KoLmafia had something to do with the icon that was displayed on Windows when KoLmafia was minimized to the system tray. So while we wait for people to stand in line to order whatever it is that they think I have been smoking, why don't we step back and ask the OP a couple of questions, specifically,

What do you do to display the KoLmafia icon? Operating system? Where does it appear on the screen? Is it just there or do you do something like minimize to see it? Is there any chance that you have associated an icon at the operating system level?

What is different that makes you say it is present for Official builds but not the dailies?

I ask because, depending upon what the situation is, there may be a trivial fix to the build process that addresses it.

Bale

Minion
I thought he was talking about the file icon I see before I start KoLmafia. It's been so long since I actually used one of those "official" builds that I honestly cannot remember if the exe has a special icon.

If it is the icon that is shown in the system tray, that should probably be possible.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I see no difference in how the .jar file is created for a "daily" or a "dist" build.
We have an icon that we put in the Windows .exe file and in the Mac .app file that goes in the Mac .dmg.
However, I don't believe there is a way to put an icon on a .jar file.

What does the OP mean by "official build"? If he means the .exe or .dmg, there is nothing we can do for him.

Bale

Minion
We have an icon that we put in the Windows .exe file and in the Mac .app file that goes in the Mac .dmg.

I just confirmed that this works for Windows also.

However, I don't believe there is a way to put an icon on a .jar file.

That must be what he meant since the other icon is definitely there. If you say we cannot add the file icon, then I believe you and will mark the feature rejected since it is impossible for current operating systems.