Allowing more files in SVN repos

coderanger

So I have one of my scripts posted to GitHub. The SVN client in Mafia works great with GitHub's SVN support, but because Mafia doesn't allow extraneous files I can't include a README easily. Is there a major reason to leave this restriction? Whitelisting something like README* and docs/ would help a lot with maintaining projects outside of these forums.

Bale

Minion
Put your README file in /data -- that's what I did.

So I have one of my scripts posted to GitHub. The SVN client in Mafia works great with GitHub's SVN support

Actually, no! GitHub's SVN support is a little buggy.

Please switch to Sourceforge or Google Code. I'm not going to add another Github project to KoLmafia's Script Manager since it causes some aggravation every time someone posts that Ezandora's Guide has mysteriously stopped updating.

coderanger

Put your README file in /data -- that's what I did.

GitHub, and most other project hosting sites like BitBucket and GitLab, special case /README in the repo and show it as on the project page. Adding stuff under data/ will not have the same effect.

Bale

Minion
Ah. What you are saying is that a README in the root directory will show up on the project page. Did not know anything about that. The solution is obvious -- I'll get to that in paragraph three.

Please consider that if you want to share this though the KoLmafia script manager I am disinclined to add anything that is on GitHub. Anything in the next paragraph will be irrelevant if you take this advice, but...

You can put your README in the base directory along with a directory called /MyScript (or whatever name you like). Put dependancies.txt in /MyScript and the other files in subdirectories of /MyScript. Then when you add that script to KoLmafia, just do it with /MyScript as the base directory. Mafia need not even know that there is a root directory.

coderanger

Ah. What you are saying is that a README in the root directory will show up on the project page. Did not know anything about that. The solution is obvious -- I'll get to that in paragraph three.

Please consider that if you want to share this though the KoLmafia script manager I am disinclined to add anything that is on GitHub. Anything in the next paragraph will be irrelevant if you take this advice, but...

You can put your README in the base directory along with a directory called /MyScript (or whatever name you like). Put dependancies.txt in /MyScript and the other files in subdirectories of /MyScript. Then when you add that script to KoLmafia, just do it with /MyScript as the base directory. Mafia need not even know that there is a root directory.

That's one option, or you can do what I've done now and make a second branch that has the README deleted, but it would still be a nice addition globally to support a README alongside scripts. I'm aware that most people writing Mafia scripts aren't full-time software devs, but it is something to encourage at least.

Bale

Minion
Then you already had your own work around. I thought you needed advice. I didn't realize the important part of your post was this:

Is there a major reason to leave this restriction?

Roippi decided that for security reasons it would be a bad idea to allow the user to put just anything into the KoLmafia directory at just any location. It was limited to only the places that scripts should be to protect users. A number of people chimed in with suggestions for additional locations (like the /planting directory) and the depencies file. Nobody thought of adding files that KoLmafia would simply ignore because they were actually intended for the depository.

If you want to post a feature request, then do so.