Feature Obey Auto-Recovery when Mining

Xande1

So, mafia apparently doesn't auto-recover when mining (or possibly just turn-free mining; I haven't done any turn-costing mining). This makes Crimbo mining take a good bit of manual healing. It would be really nice if mafia obeyed HP recovery settings when mining, so I wouldn't have to manually cast cocoon after cave-ins.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I've been mining with no recovery whatsoever after cave-ins. It does not stop you from mining if you are beaten up. Does it prevent you from mining with 0 HP? If so, wear the simplest of HP recovery items and you can mine non-stop.

Which is to say, I don't WANT KoLmafia to consume my items/MP/spells to auto-recover my HP while mining.

Xande1

You can't mine with 0 hp, and regeneration doesn't take effect if you're not using turns. And I'm doing all my mining under the effect of oily legs, so I never spend a turn when mining.

That said, if the feature request is rejected, it's rejected. It's not a big deal.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Looking at my log where my multi was mining with dynamite in inventory, I see things like this:

Code:
[500462] The Crimbonium Mine
You gain 10 Muscleboundness

You gain 24 Meat

You lose 2,189 hit points

use 1 scroll of drastic healing

[500463] The Crimbonium Mine
You lose 3,648 hit points

take from closet: 1 tiny house
You acquire an item: tiny house

use 1 tiny house
You gain 20 hit points
You gain 24 Mojo Points

[500464] The Crimbonium Mine
You gain 12 Strongness

[500464] The Crimbonium Mine
You lose 2,918 hit points

take from closet: 1 tiny house
You acquire an item: tiny house

use 1 tiny house
You gain 22 hit points
You gain 23 Mojo Points

[500465] The Crimbonium Mine
You gain 12 Strongness
Notice a couple of things:

- This was turn-free mining - but when I hit a cave-in, KoL took a turn anyway.
- This was last night before they rolled out peppermint tailings
- KoLmafia auto-recovered for me; it removed beaten up with a tiny house and then used a scroll of drastic healing.

This morning, I mined some more using turns:

Code:
[500635] The Crimbonium Mine

[500635] The Crimbonium Mine
You acquire an item: peppermint tailings
You gain 24 Meat

[500636] The Crimbonium Mine
You lose 2,999 hit points

[500637] The Crimbonium Mine
You gain 9 Magicalness

[500638] The Crimbonium Mine
You lose 1,451 hit points

[500639] The Crimbonium Mine
You gain 24 Meat

[500640] The Crimbonium Mine
You acquire an item: nugget of Crimbonium
Since this character has about 2,500 maximum HP, she certainly got beaten up by that first cave-in - but with HP regen, no autorecovery kicked in.

So, I actually could not reproduce your situation; last night, when I was doing turn-free mining, cave-ins took a turn - and we auto-recovered. This morning, when I spending turns on mining, cave-ins still took a turn, but we did not autorecover.

Xande1

So, I actually could not reproduce your situation; last night, when I was doing turn-free mining, cave-ins took a turn - and we auto-recovered. This morning, when I spending turns on mining, cave-ins still took a turn, but we did not autorecover.

I think I was having something similar (autorecovery working last night, but not this morning), and I know I had a discussion with someone else who was not autorecovering this morning. It may have to do with support for the Crimbo mine having been added to mafia (since before, when visiting the mine was an override, presumably mafia didn't "know" we were mining). But my logs from that time are a cluttered mess, and I'm about to go to sleep; if there's still a question when I wake up I can try to dig up the answer then.

One other, minor point, just to clear up some confusion: minin' dynamite only makes non-interesting (i.e., non-sparkling) squares turn-free. Since cave-ins occur on interesting squares, they take a turn with minin' dynamyte, as do nuggets of crimbonium. Oily Legs gives turn-free mining on all squares.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I have since closeted my minin' dynamite. Haven't tried Oily Legs yet; we don't yet have that effect in our database - as you can tell from the note I added to the New Content thread. Haven't actually used mining oil yet, although I farmed a bunch of it.

I'll try it out tomorrow.

Darzil

Developer
Yeah, oily legs is great, lets you mine using no turns there and can see you do get beaten up, and it doesn't fire autorecovery.

Crowther

Damage is based on muscle, not HP. So "maximize -2 muscle, hp, outfit High-Radiation Mining Gear" works really well.

Last edited:

Darzil

Developer
My guess is that Mafia knows it's a zero combat zone, so doesn't apply autorecovery. I've not looked at the code, but maybe we could have an option for recovery in zero combat zones, could be handy for running familiars that can generate fights, too.