Bug Autorecovery aborting instead of acquiring item

ereinion

I made a thread describing the problem I had in the community support forums, not being sure if it was I being dumb or if it was mafia disbehaving: http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?17106-Why-does-my-autorecovery-fail

After some feedback from other forumites, it seems there actually are some bugs in mafia's autorecovery - Veracity describes this particular issue very succinctly here, I think:
(...)
if you select "scroll of drastic healing" as a recovery option, KoLmafia will use one only if you happen to have one in inventory. That is probably true for ALL recovery items - and is probably intentional; we make one pass looking at existing items and fail if none are available. But, since we will buy NPC items - seltzers, what have you - why not mall items? (...)

Bale

Minion
But, since we will buy NPC items - seltzers, what have you - why not mall items?

I'm going to take a stab at answering that question. It is because mall items have less stable and reasonable prices than NPC items and that price might spike during a long event (like Crimbo) leading to unintended expense.

The natural counterpoint is that autoBuyPriceLimit will keep the expense from going over 20,000 meat, but that is an insane price for a scroll of drastic healing. Nobody believes it can get that expensive, but two thousand meat for each scroll was seen during a past Crimbo and might add up to more of an expense than the player was expecting. I fear that someone might get upset when he discovers that mafia spent 50,000 meat on 25 full heals.

Despite saying this, I do not think that it is a bad thing for mafia to buy from the mall. I merely wanted to express my feelings on the potential downside.