Feature Use 1 adventure instead of 0 for unknown food/booze

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Someone mentioned today in chat that they weren't getting Ode warnings in mafia for the new turkey booze. I realized it was due to mafia thinking it gives 0 adventures, since it's new enough that there isn't data. Mafia doesn't warn for that because pvp food/booze doesn't benefit from milk/ode. If mafia assumed that new things give 1 adventure instead of 0, warnings would be given immediately.

I've already made the (trivial) code change locally, so this thread is just to check that people don't think this is a bad idea.

Fluxxdog

That's a grand idea. Only thing I could think of adding would be to make those adventures based on its given quality and/or size, but Jick throws enough curveballs to make that A Bad Idea.

Darzil

Developer
How do you tell things that really do give 0 adventures? How do you know what is new? Or are you just doing this on the new item found message?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I was planning to add items to mafia like that as well (changing the copy-paste message for that). You (Darzil) are the main person that figures out that data to put in proper values, so if seeing 0 adventures there is important for you keeping track of it then it probably isn't a good change.

I guess something could be done with the notes column, and that could be used for the warning instead.

Bale

Minion
It would be a little trickier, but if KoLmafia sees a "0" for adventure gain and fight gain (both) on a food or drink, could it interpret that as a +1 adv?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It would be a little trickier, but if KoLmafia sees a "0" for adventure gain and fight gain (both) on a food or drink, could it interpret that as a +1 adv?

Mafia doesn't know how many fites an item will give. It's listed in human-readable form in the notes. There's also the possibility that some consumable will eventually give neither because it does some other powerful thing, and I would expect that to not benefit from milk/ode (though I don't know for sure).

Theraze

Isn't there one of the dusty bottles that gives nothing but wasted inebriety? And if we use 1 for unknown, is there a good way to distinguish between the items that do actually give 1 adventure?

Darzil

Developer
I was planning to add items to mafia like that as well (changing the copy-paste message for that). You (Darzil) are the main person that figures out that data to put in proper values, so if seeing 0 adventures there is important for you keeping track of it then it probably isn't a good change.

I guess something could be done with the notes column, and that could be used for the warning instead.
I certainly use 0 as a first pass now, as I seem to often end up being the spader (with the help of guildies, mainly). I'd suggest we use -1 or something, though clearly we might have to handle it elsewhere, to be unknown. Maybe we can guess at the average value based on quality, which would be superior? We use -1 now for unknown elsewhere.

Darzil

Developer
Adventure gain per fullness isn't an exact science, but is reasonably predictable. if when we read the datafiles we come across a -1 in adventures, we could enter it into the database straight as the adventure range, and start and end values as unitCost (full/drunk) for crappy, 1.5 x unitCost for decent, 2.5 x unitCost for good, 3.5 x unitCost for awesome, and 5 x unitCost for EPIC. These are reasonable, slightly conservative, guesses based on looking at inebriety.txt and sorting gain by fullness.

We can then add a warning (uncertain?) to display if adventure range = -1, have -1 in the database, but otherwise handle the numbers. As adventure range wouldn't equal "0", Ode/Milk would apply.