Fortune Cookie Explosion

GIR

Hello, this is not so much a help issue but rather a, "is this even possible/supposed to happen" thread.

Check this out. KoLMafia 16.4, r14764. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Java Version 8u20.

apcu2o.jpg

Three cookies, seven possible outcomes. (TPTB and 3 and 7. Hmmmm.) It's only as much of an issue as, "hey, it's a fifty story building - let's hit all the buttons in the elevator." I'm fairly certain the reason why I got this problem is because I ate these fortune cookies after only two turns at the beginning of my session. I found it interesting that all my previous data was gone, as in semi-rare, and rain monster frequency information. (The "romantic monster" setup was one of my two turns)

Also, let me know if this posting of a picture (even if from offsite) is unacceptable. I couldn't find anything in the FAQ or stickies.

now don't quote me on this, but i believe there was a ring that loved to listen to the radio

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
That can happen if you get a semi-rare in a non-adventure.php location. It used to happen all the time to people who got the shrinking powder in the old Hidden City. What was your last semi-rare?

Also, let me know if this posting of a picture (even if from offsite) is unacceptable. I couldn't find anything in the FAQ or stickies.

The more posts per day that a forum gets, the more rules they need. Our forum doesn't need too many rules.

GIR

Many thanks for the response, Bale! I wasn't certain about the picture.

My last semi-rare was in the Sleazy Back Alley. I was just stealing fortified wine, I swear! :D

bork, bork, bork

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
That can happen if you get a semi-rare in a non-adventure.php location. It used to happen all the time to people who got the shrinking powder in the old Hidden City. What was your last semi-rare?

I suppose the old Hidden City was a weird case, but it is impossible to get a semi-rare from a non-adventure.php location now. Getting bad numbers like this would mean spending the semirare turn in a non-adventure.php location, and all turns since then. Something like spending turns making food would explain it. The real question is what have you spent the last several adventures doing?

Also possible is that the counter is at 0, and KoL will not report that. How many turns ago did you get your last semirare (shown with "counters")?

xKiv

Content deleted, because completely ninjad' due to leaving tab open for hours.

Bale

Minion
Also possible is that the counter is at 0, and KoL will not report that. How many turns ago did you get your last semirare (shown with "counters")?

Oh! I forgot that because it is so rare and never happened to me, but it is quite possible that GIR was at his semi-rare turn.

GIR

Hello all!

Lostcalpolydude, I think you nailed it right on the head. I checked my session log, and discovered I made some milks of magnesium, and a pile of noodle dishes (Hell ramen, spaghetti with Skullheads, etc). I wound up spending eleven adventures cooking - I must have gone right over the semi-rare.

As for the counters, Mafia tells me my last semi-rare was on turn 81, on my second day (my first day sucked). I started the third day on turn 254 getting my dungeoneering kit, and then turns 255 through 266 cooking. A 173-turn gap to the semi-rare, and then the other 11 must have gone right over it.

If this is indeed the case, now my semi-rare counter is effectively cleared. While I don't necessarily use all my semi-rares, it is nice to have a counter. Should I start digging into the cookies, or wait until I accidentally stumble upon a semi-rare to kick-start the whole thing over again?

glowing like you're in space

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
As long as it isn't the exact turn that your semi-rare is supposed to happen, eating a cookie will help you.

Odds are in your favor.

GIR

Many thanks, Bale! You're right! 164 turns.

One of the other possibilities I had been considering as the cause (and hoping against it) was the downloading and updating of KoLMafia.exe. Whew! As it turns out, all I have to do is pay more attention to the semi-rare counter. Thanks, Bale, Lostcal, and hey, even xKiv just for watching.

he was so flipped up and turned around and exactly right there

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Spending 1 turn in an adventure.php location will set your semirare counter again, and then you can eat a cookie or two to see the number. Or you can eat an optimal dog to force one immediately.