Issue with running Mafia (newbie question I'm sure) -

timelifevideos

Good day there,

I just discovered Mafia from a chat link in Kol and figured I'd give it a try. I'm running a windows 7 machine with fully updated Java JRE (version 8 update 20, 1.8.0_20). I went through the download link for Mafia, downloaded the .exe and ran it (since it said it was "that" easy), but the only thing it does is say "No Java?" and promptly close.

Looked for some FAQs about installation or running it for the first time, and I haven't found much, so I figured I'd ask here.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Open up a command prompt, switch to the directory with mafia, and use "java -jar KoLmafia". That should give a message of some type, which should help figure out the cause.

Theraze

What KoLmafia.exe did you download? How big is it? Which page did you download it from?

It sounds like you downloaded a corrupted file, whether the file on the server is corrupted or just that your attempt failed. Though really, you shouldn't be using the exe files, you should be using the daily jars instead. But...

timelifevideos

What KoLmafia.exe did you download? How big is it? Which page did you download it from?

It sounds like you downloaded a corrupted file, whether the file on the server is corrupted or just that your attempt failed. Though really, you shouldn't be using the exe files, you should be using the daily jars instead. But...

http://builds.kolmafia.us/

There was a link at the top for the exe. I'll try to jar file... and strange enough, that worked much easier than the .exe.

Thanks.

xKiv

Can you really run a .exe wrapper using java -jar? I wouldn expect that to work.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Probably not, there's probably some other syntax that would have worked better to get good feedback from a command prompt.