Can you edit what the breakfast function tries to use daily?

smyrnian

Ok, I've got to think there's some setting somewhere I'm overlooking or some config file I need to edit but I can't figure this one out.

Kolmafia seems to think I want to use a Chroner Cross for breakfast. When it sees that I don't have one (for I have never had one) it tries to purchase one for 1,300,000. It fails because I only have about 800,000 meat (and it's all closeted). I usually closet all my meat before logging off the previous day so it's probably not an issue but if I get to a point where I happen to have more than 1,300,000 meat and if I forget to closet it then it's going to end up buying it one of these days.

I'm not really wanting a Chroner Cross at the moment so I kinda want to stop kolmafia from trying to buy it. I also don't want to shut off kolmafia buying items from the mall as it's obviously a very useful feature.

Am I missing something? I haven't been using kolmafia for long so I spent a few days looking up the answer before giving up and asking here but I'm at a loss.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
First, you can go to Preferences -> After Ronin (or In Ronin, if applicable) and uncheck "use once-a-day items" to stop mafia from using a good-sized list of things that don't get used up.

However, mafia shouldn't be trying to use it unless it's already in your inventory, so something isn't working properly. Can you post all of the CLI output near when that happens?

smyrnian

Sounds good...I'll try to remember to do that after rollover here in a bit, I already closed out mafia unfortunately. I've got a few once a day items that mafia uses and I'd hate to lose that function.

I didn't mention this before but I do download the latest java build every day before I log in with mafia.

smyrnian

I just threw all the output in there from logon to breakfast's end. I don't want to make any presumptions that any particular piece of information is not important.

Code:
Installing default certificate validation...
Validating login server (www.kingdomofloathing.com)...
Using data override: data/mallprices.txt
563 players online.
Sending login request...
Initializing session for smyrnian...
Refreshing session data...
Synchronizing moon data...
Loading character status...
Retrieving character data...
Updating inventory...
Examining Meat in closet...
Updating closet...
Retrieving quest data...
Retrieving familiar data...
Familiar data retrieved.
Retrieving campground data...
You are currently a member of The Jedi Council
Session data refreshed.
Oyster Egg Day today, Muscle bonus today and yesterday.
Updating all SVN projects...
bale-new-life is at HEAD (r28)
bale-ocd is at HEAD (r27)
bestbetweenbattle is at HEAD (r18)
Ezandora-Guide-branches-Release is at HEAD (r197)
mafia-harvest is at HEAD (r23)
mafia-harvest-data is at HEAD (r4)
mafiarecovery is at HEAD (r9)
therazekolmafia-canadv is at HEAD (r44)
therazekolmafia-eatdrink is at HEAD (r23)
winterbay-mafia-farm is at HEAD (r16)
winterbay-mafia-sushi is at HEAD (r4)
zlib is at HEAD (r21)
Visiting Mr. Klaw "Skill" Crane Game in clan rumpus room
Visiting Exotic Hanging Meat Orchid in clan rumpus room
You gain 1,486 Meat
Visiting Potted Meat Bush in clan rumpus room
You gain 463 Meat
Visiting Potted Meat Tree in clan rumpus room
You gain 1,028 Meat
Using 1 Manual of Labor...
Finished using 1 Manual of Labor.
Visiting the Hermit...
Pulling items from storage...
Refreshing stash contents...
Stash list retrieved.
Pulling items from stash...
You acquire chewing gum on a string (7)
Placing items into closet...
Using 6 chewing gum on a string...
You acquire an item: Hollandaise helmet
You acquire an item: saucepan
You acquire an item: worthless gewgaw
You acquire an item: worthless knick-knack
You acquire an item: mariachi hat
You acquire an item: worthless trinket
Finished using 6 chewing gum on a string.
Placing items into closet (request 1 of 3)...
Placing items into closet (request 2 of 3)...
Placing items into closet (request 3 of 3)...
Using 1 chewing gum on a string...
Finished using 1 chewing gum on a string.
Removing items from closet (request 1 of 3)...
You acquire worthless trinket (2)
Removing items from closet (request 2 of 3)...
You acquire an item: worthless gewgaw
Removing items from closet (request 3 of 3)...
Visiting the Hermit...
You acquire ten-leaf clover (5)
Using 5 ten-leaf clover...
You acquire disassembled clover (5)
Finished using 5 ten-leaf clover.
Hermit successfully looted!
Collecting cut of hippy profits...
You gain 4,315 Meat
Using 1 Taco Dan's Taco Stand Flier...
You acquire an item: Taco Dan's Taco Stand Chimichangarita
Finished using 1 Taco Dan's Taco Stand Flier.
Pulling items from stash...
Transfer failed for Chroner cross
Movement of items failed.
Searching for "Chroner cross"...
Search complete.
Stopped purchasing Chroner cross @ 1,299,500.
Searching for "Chroner cross"...
Search complete.
Stopped purchasing Chroner cross @ 1,299,500.
You need 1 more Chroner cross to continue.

Darzil

Developer
Ok, so there is a Chroner cross in your clan stash which you can't pull, and when you fail to pull it tries to buy one.

I guess we should abort trying to get it if you fail to pull from stash ?

I seem to recall a similar bug report about another item a few months back.

Edit - If you aren't meaning to pull things from stash, you can remove the option to pull from stash if available and this issue would go away, but clearly that isn't an option if you have other reasons to automatically pull from stash.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
So there is a Chroner cross in your clan stash, which leads mafia to think it's okay to acquire it for use in breakfast (since it can just be returned at no cost), but you can't pull it. Once it gets that far, the acquire code doesn't know it's part of breakfast so it tries acquiring any way possible.

I don't think there's an easy fix for that in mafia's code, at least not one that I'm thinking of right now. Disabling use of the clan stash would fix this the same as disabling mall purchasing would, as far as what you can do to make sure mafia never buys one.

Edit: And apparently I left this window open for a while and didn't see Darzil's reply before mine.

xKiv

but if I get to a point where I happen to have more than 1,300,000 meat and if I forget to closet it then it's going to end up buying it one of these days.

I would like to point out that mafia should *not* end up buying it anyway, because you very likely have a default value of autoBuyPriceLimit (20000 meat), which should stop mafia from buying anything more expensive unless you did an *explicit* buy command (or maybe explicit acquire?)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
If you use "buy", you are explicitly telling KoLmafia to go to the mall and get you the item. autoBuyPriceLimit does not apply.

If you say "acquire" (or, equivalently, KoLmafia does retrieveItem() for you), that is considered to be "automated" item acquisition, and autoBuyPriceLimit does apply.

smyrnian

Ah, there is in fact a Chroner Cross in my clan's stash of which I am unable to withdraw. Odd that it wants to try and buy it afterwards when it can't take it.

Probably might just be easier to make sure I closet all meat before I log out. Wonder if this would this be worthwhile to submit a bug report?

Theraze

It's failing to buy because it's using retrieveItem, as Veracity said. Which means that unless you raise your aBPL above 1.3m from the default of 20k, it won't actually buy it... just abort. So closeting your meat will not avoid the aborting of breakfast, nor get rid of the message. So it goes on my character that logged in with 18m meat today.

So... follow the suggestion of Darzil, disable using once-a-day items, or make your own version of breakfast. Your choice.

smyrnian

It seems a shame to have to stop mafia from pulling from the stash though. The benefits gained from the items pulled are more than worth the meat it takes to rebuild the used karma.

The thing I don't understand is that, if I'm reading the description of the Chroner Cross correctly, then I need to have a chroner to use it. Why then is mafia trying to pull it from the stash at all seeing as though I don't have a chroner in my inventory and using the Chroner Cross would be pointless? Odd.

edit: heh, didn't see the 2nd page before I posted that^^^. Yeah, I guess I could just skip breakfast and script a startup that does everything I want it to on login. It's not like I have a lot of stuff yet that breakfast automates.

2nd edit: Wow, I sounded like a real jerk in that post, sorry devs. I love mafia. It's helped me get more into KoL than I ever had been. I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into it. Now that I've got an answer I'll go crawl back under my rock.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The thing I don't understand is that, if I'm reading the description of the Chroner Cross correctly, then I need to have a chroner to use it. Why then is mafia trying to pull it from the stash at all seeing as though I don't have a chroner in my inventory and using the Chroner Cross would be pointless? Odd.
This is a very good point. We do have the concept of items having use limitations - often things like 1/day, and so on - but this is an item which is unusable unless you have a Chroner in inventory. Similarly, the warbear bank doesn't work unless you have 25 Meat in inventory.

We should definitely code those things in. It might be enough to stop KoLmafia from trying to "acquire" the item for you, assuming that is done within the UseItemRequest.

If not, it wouldn't hurt to have special knowledge in the breakfast script.