Making KolMafia accessible again

Orie

Hi everyone,
Back in 2010, I used KolMafia with no problems using the Java access bridge and my screen reader. It would be convenient for me to use it now since I need to grind for two Mysticality points and I like KolMafia's ability to save time and do it for me, rather than constantly clicking. However, downloading the latest version I find that absolutely nothing reads. When the login window came up, I figured that maybe the username and password fields just weren't there, but getting sighted assistance I logged in and still nothing reads.
Since I don't know which version broke it since I've been away from KoL for a few years, is it possible the developers can fix this? There are a few blind players other than me who used to use KolMafia, and I most certainly would use it again.
If the devs need help, research information on the Java access Bridge to implement it. I wonder if it is the change from DRE6 to DRE7.
Thanks for the help guys, and I'd love to use this app again.

Edit: So I was checking on the KoL forums about when I posted back in 2010, and the most recent version I used that had accessibility was KolMafia 12XX, Eg. 12.4/5.
II hope this helps with attempting to rectify the problem.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Bumping because this is worthy of some consideration and I can't reproduce the problem nor figure out what has broken since this.

Theraze

It's also possible that the problem is which version of Java Orie is using. There's an allusion to changing to Java 1.7, which means that it might now be a newer version with the bugs that they've said they're not fixing until Java 1.9. I'd be curious whether going back to Java 1.6 fixes the issue...

Ethelred

It's also possible that the problem is which version of Java Orie is using. There's an allusion to changing to Java 1.7, which means that it might now be a newer version with the bugs that they've said they're not fixing until Java 1.9. I'd be curious whether going back to Java 1.6 fixes the issue...

Is going back to Java 1.6 even an option now? In the followups to this thread, http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?1...o-build-r14343&p=113011&viewfull=1#post113011 I got the impression that you now have to use Java 1.7 to compile KoLmafia. I sure hope I didn't go through all the pain of that migration if it wasn't necessary.

Theraze

And it's not THAT hard to use Java 1.7.09, the last version of Java 1.7 that doesn't have the forced "You really want to change to the latest version now, even though you told me that you didn't want me to check or tell you, right? Right?! RIGHT!!!" version check.

But if version 1.6 works fine for accessibility, which was the last version before Java built the bridge into Java itself, then that might be a solution here.

xKiv

You can also have several versions of java installed alongside each other and run mafia with explicit version

(path pulled from a random orifice, because you can install it anywhere you want:)
c:\Progam Files\Java\jre-1.7u55\bin\java -jar KoLmafia-99999.jar