Feature - Implemented Heavy Rains: miniature life preserver should be prioritized for familiars

Bale

Minion
I'm making this a separate feature request, rather than part of the Heavy Rains omnibus thread since it is a side issue that might have its own discussion.

When familiars are switched mafia will automatically switch in some generic familiar items. I propose that if the character is in Heavy Rains and he possesses a miniature life preserver it should be considered the generic familiar equipment with the highest priority.

Right now the miniature life preserver is left on its prior familiar when equipment is switched, but it is desperately needed to combat wave depth. If the character has a moveable feast for its buff they'd still probably want mafia to equip the miniature life preserver by default since the weight of a familiar is irrelevant if it does not act.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
First, I find it hard to believe that there is a reason to not lock the life preserver on your familiar on turn 0 and never touch the equipment or setting.

Second, under type69 restrictions the only options are snow suit, lead necklace, and familiar-specific equipment. It might be possible that the snow suit is worthwhile for a few familiars occasionally, but then there's basically no chance of mafia's or KoL's settings being what that person wants. People playing this once type69 restrictions go away probably won't be concerned about any minor turn loss from always using the life preserver.

You might be technically right that something should be changed, but I'm not sure what the actual benefit would be. Ideally that system would allow a lot more control over familiar equipment, but I can't imagine the interface for it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
First, I find it hard to believe that there is a reason to not lock the life preserver on your familiar on turn 0 and never touch the equipment or setting.
It costs 100 Meat. Since I collect pork elf goodies sacks, I don't have 100 Meat available to me on turn 0.
Although that only applies to a handful of people, it IS a reason. Do you believe it? :)

Aren't we fortunate that I fixed familiar locking and the Gear Changer just last week.

Bale

Minion

I also have a reason. It gets unlocked at the beginning of the day by my loginScript. The reason is my Reagnimated Gnome. He goes to the familiar arena every day for familiar equipment since that is worth 75 meat per day.

You're right that the moveable feast won't be an issue until another 3 months have passed, but people will probably want to pull that then. At least locking the familiar equipment will save them if they remember to do lock it and don't have a reason to unlock.

I don't always remember to lock familiar equipment and then I can forget to switch the life preserver and consequently lose use of my familiar until I remember. My bad, but I hope KoLmafia will save me from the error.

Perhaps I should write lock detection into my loginScript as well. Right now it only re-equips the original familiar gear.

Last edited: