Forums being tweaked?

xKiv

Is this forum's software currently being modified? I am seeing a lot of what looks like korean writing instead of thread/post icons, and each first post on a page has a "Test123" in upper right corner ...
Doesn't affect (or even effect) functionality, as far as I can tell, but looks weird.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I see that one, but I'm more curious about this korean writing xKiv is talking about.

xKiv

Sure.

At least some of it appears to come from css, for example .fa-file:before { content ""; } // font-awesome.css:1165

Or .fa-comment-o:before { content: ""; } // font-awesome.css:817

ETA: don't mind the red and green x marks, those are mine (local css to mark unvisited/visited links)

Attachments

• km-1.png
    km-1.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 74
  • km-2.png
    km-2.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 72
  • km-3.png
    km-3.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
What browser and OS are you using? We use Font-Awesome for pretty much all our icons so they shouldn't be showing up like that.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Actually xKiv, I looked at your user agent string and it says you're using Firefox 29. That's actually several versions behind and might be what is causing your issue, I know at one point Font-Awesome and Firefox didn't play well together but in the current version of the browser (31) it works fine.

Winterbay

While we're on the topic of the font. Is there an explanation for what the different icons mean anywhere?

xKiv

Actually xKiv, I looked at your user agent string and it says you're using Firefox 29. That's actually several versions behind and might be what is causing your issue, I know at one point Font-Awesome and Firefox didn't play well together but in the current version of the browser (31) it works fine.

I know I have had *different* problems with custom fonts on windows firefox (iirc required manual installation of the font) and linux firefox (no idea what I did with that), once.

As for version, I won't be updating firefox until I update the entire system (I am on mint 14, which is no longer supported and therefore doesn't get updates to anything anymore). And I don't want to do that until I manage a complete backup of all my data. And I don't want to do that until I upgrade my network from 100Mb to gigabit ethernet (requires configuring a new modem, and hopefully not much else, but it's still a drag). At my current willingness to do stuff like that (and considering that I already set up a NAS here and configured access from two computers), I *might* get to it somewhen this year.

ETA: actually, it looks good on a clean profile. I will have to investigate a little more. Clearing cache didn't help.
ETA2: restarting in safe mode helped.
ETA3: oh DUH. That's the thing I forgot about "linux firefox". NoScript doesn't just block javascript, but also fonts. I have to explicitly allow them.

Last edited:

Rawrbomb

Administrator
While we're on the topic of the font. Is there an explanation for what the different icons mean anywhere?
There is a legend on the thread listing page, and the bottom of the forumhome

Also Hi, I do the style stuff because fewyn is lazy.

Winterbay

Thanks. Also, I knew there was that somewhere but I tend to only look at the search page and it wasn't there :)