Problem with scripts on SVN taking ages to update

ereinion

This is a rather recent issue I've come across, which may have something to do with me being on vacation and having a rather slow and unstable connection, and it basically is what I've described in the thread-title. Loading web-pages and even playing KoL works (mostly) fine, but the script-updating hangs for ages. Sometimes for a long age, sometimes for a shorter, up until today it wasn't bad enough that I bothered asking for help, but today, this is what the gCLI looks like 15+ minutes after I typed "svn update" into it:

I tried circumventing the issue by disabling SVN update on login, but there seems to be a few scripts which tries to update themselves when they are run, or something like that, at any rate quite a few of the relay scripts I've got installed fails to run, and in addition causes other KoL processes to lag.

So what I wonder is if there's any way to solve these issues, or if I'll just have to find something else to do for an hour or two, while the scripts finish checking their version numbers / updating?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The problem is your connection to sourceforge (maybe mafia could handle that better). A quick solution is to remove svn updating from those scripts.

ereinion

I figured as much, but I am having no issues opening the pages for the various projects in my browser, so I still thought it a bit odd. If anything I'd expect it to require less traffic to just check the version number, but that is of course pure guesswork on my part.

I guess I'll go through my scripts and comment out the relevant lines for now. I'm guessing it will contain something like "svn_update()"?

Theraze

Probably cli_execute("svn update <something>"); with the <something> varying. If you just search for svn update and remove those lines, you should usually be fine.

Bale

Minion
You'll also want to delete calls to check_version(), since that is a zlib function which updates svn.

ereinion

Thanks for the various suggestions! I ended up just making a clean install, and then copying over a few of the scripts I still wanted to have around, which seems to have worked well :)

Theraze

Well, if you remove the svn update from zlib, then you can still use its check version...

ereinion

Ah, ok! I just figured it was easier to simply copy over what few scripts I do feel that I "need" on a daily basis than to start searching through all the scripts for various invocations of "svn update". I do think zlib was one of them, and it's seemed to work well, even without removing that line...

Anyway, for all intents and purposes, my problem is solved, I'll go back to being a regular user of the SVN scripts once I get back home :D