Bug Round 0 ends each combat, lands on main map

Haroldine

Hi all:

Each of my combats is being ended prematurely (I think) by Mafia. The interface tells me the battle is still raging, but Mafia takes my last action, ends the battle beforehand, and creates my last action as Round 0 after the combat. Or else it repeats my last action as Round 0 after the combat. I'm then kicked to the main map, so to see the results of any combat, I have to comb the Graphical CLI.

Here's an example of my last battle, jar build v16.3 r14025. I've been updating mafia every day this week and have had the same problem:

Round 10: Haroldine casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 11 but KoL thinks it is round 7
Round 11: mer-kin bladeswitcher takes 11 damage.
Round 11: mer-kin bladeswitcher takes 2 damage.
Round 11: mer-kin bladeswitcher takes 6 damage.
You lose 79 hit points
Round 11: Haroldine casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 12 but KoL thinks it is round 8
Round 12: mer-kin bladeswitcher takes 415 damage.
Round 12: Haroldine wins the fight!
After Battle: Madame Ruby peers into your eyes. "In a past life, you broke your patella falling out of a tree. That explains why you hate trees so much in this life," she says, smiling warmly. (+6 Stats)
You gain 127 Muscleboundness
You gain 74 Mysteriousness
You gain 86 Cheek
You gain a Moxie point!
Round 0: Haroldine uses the scented massage oil and uses the pulled blue taffy!

Here I used healing and taffy because the interface told me I was about to lose the fight. I tried downloading Mafia into a new folder to "erase" my combat preferences, but this did not solve the problem. It's hard for me to play without Mafia, I've been using it for years and I love it! But having to comb through the CLI after each combat to figure out what might have happened is more researchy than actual fun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Haroldine

Haroldine

Does anyone have any ideas about this? New builds aren't improving things, and now the extra round of battle Mafia is adding is sucking up my MP. For example, I'm a turtle tamer. To beat a hobo in the relay browser, I cast Lunging thrust smack ONCE and hit him once with a normal attack. But at the end of the attack, not only do I get redirected to main map, but my MP goes down because Mafia is convinced I cast LTS twice. Which I didn't.

[2629] Hobopolis Town Square
Encounter: Two-Glass-Eyes Giles "Melvin" O'Mally
Round 0: Haroldine wins initiative!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 2 but KoL thinks it is round 1
Round 2: Haroldine casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 3 but KoL thinks it is round 2
Round 3: normal hobo takes 231 damage.
Round 3: normal hobo takes 13 damage.
Round 3: normal hobo takes 2 damage.
Round 3: normal hobo takes 5 damage.
You lose 33 hit points
Round 3: Haroldine casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 4 but KoL thinks it is round 3
Round 4: normal hobo takes 256 damage.
Round 4: normal hobo takes 13 damage.
Round 4: Haroldine wins the fight!
After Battle: Baby Zoidberg smiles on the inside. Unlike all other life-forms, it's doing it literally, with its second set of jaws. (+7 Stats)
You gain 41 Muscleboundness
You gain 32 Magicalness
You gain 25 Chutzpah
You gain a Moxie point!
Round 0: Haroldine attacks!

This is totally different from what I actually did: cast LTS once and hit once with a normal attack. So once Mafia shoves me to the main map, it takes away the MP points it thinks I should've used--AFTER the battle is over.

Haroldine

It also casts a skill after battle if I win the fight in one hit, after the monster is already dead:

[2627] Hobopolis Town Square
Encounter: Nick Jones, the Lumberjack
Round 1: Baby Zoidberg takes a pull on the hookah, and immediately goes into a coughing fit, blowing a cloud of smoke in your face. Since this is magic smoke, instead of giving you cancer (or, perhaps in addition to giving you cancer), it gives you an effect:
You acquire an effect: All Glory To the Toad (duration: 6 Adventures)
Round 3: normal hobo takes 441 damage.
Round 3: normal hobo takes 10 damage.
Round 3: Haroldine wins the fight!
You acquire an item: CSA all-purpose soap
You acquire an item: hobo nickel
After Battle: Baby Zoidberg smiles on the inside. Unlike all other life-forms, it's doing it literally, with its second set of jaws. (+8 Stats)
You gain 38 Beefiness
You gain 28 Enchantedness
You gain 31 Sarcasm
Round 0: Haroldine casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Quoting myself from the G-D thread

It looks like the problem is that the relay browser isn't updating properly, so it isn't showing the result where the combat ends.

So combat is actually over, but the browser doesn't load to indicate that, and it still accepts input for the fight (which KoL then uses to send you to the main map, since that shouldn't happen). You can watch the CLI while adventuring to see if this fits.

Haroldine

That doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm not casting lunge-smack twice in every fight, for instance. I'm only casting it once. But mafia is casting it twice, often the second time after both mafia and the relay browser says the fight is over.

Bale

Minion
Pardon me for going to baby steps: How are you casting lunge-smack and other actions?

Walk us through this in infinitesimally tiny steps.
  • Do you use the CAB, mafia combat buttons or KoL's old style interface?
  • What buttons do you click on?
  • Are any drop-down menus involved?
  • Please mention every single click of the mouse.
We know you are using Chrome so you can skip that step, but please tell us every other pointless detail.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If you have a convenient setup for recording video of what you are doing, that might be more useful for us to find something and easier for you to create. If your first thought is that you don't know how you would try doing that, then it probably isn't easier for you, and likely isn't worth doing.

Haroldine

I really appreciate this!

First I log onto Mafia. I have it set to update SVN automatically. When it's done with breakfast, I click the relay browser button. It is very rare for me to automate adventures, usually just during Crimbo.

Then I usually use the character pane to get to my last location. If I'm going someplace new, I use the pull-down menu labeled "Go to" up top.

Right now, I'm battling a hobo in town square. My set-up has mafia combat buttons on top of the screen. I click the lunging button. Damage counts seem to be accurate--the hobo now has 197 damage left according to the adventure screen. I want nickels, so I don't want to overdo it. I click the button in the middle of the screen "Attack with Duct-Tape Sword". Sometimes I use attack button up top. Whatever is closer to my cursor.

And I'm kicked to the main map. And here's the Graphical CLI, insisting that I used lunging twice (and taking the mana away after the fight according to the charpane, at least. I mean, I know it's taking the mana away, just can't be sure when. The MP counter clicks down after the fight):

[2654] Hobopolis Town Square
Encounter: Bruised-Rib Morris Garfield
Round 1: Haroldine casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!
Round 2: normal hobo takes 218 damage.
Round 2: normal hobo takes 11 damage.
Round 2: normal hobo takes 2 damage.
Round 2: normal hobo takes 7 damage.
You lose 33 hit points
Round 3: normal hobo takes 213 damage.
Round 3: Haroldine wins the fight!
You acquire an item: hobo nickel
After Battle: Madame Ruby studies the bumps on your head. "You are an old soul with a kind spirit," she says, "and in a past life you were allergic to porkchop." She smiles as you try to figure out what that has to do with anything. (+9 Stats)
You gain 52 Muscleboundness
You gain 19 Wizardliness
You gain 30 Chutzpah
Round 0: Haroldine attacks!

The extra damage I'm causing in the first round of combat are a chillterelle (florist friar = cold damage), jalapeno saucesphere, and scarysauce.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
My guess is that clicking the button for LTS somehow triggered it twice, but the relay browser loaded after the first trigger. If you look at the CLI before clicking attack, you will probably see that combat is already over.

I don't have any idea what could be causing this. Do you have fight.ash in your relay folder? A relay override doing something unexpected is all I can think of.

Haroldine

No, no file named fight in the relay folder.

I need to find a tough enemy for this test. My clan killed all the hobos. I tried a duck, one-hit kill, but Mafia cast Lunging for the second time after the fight:

[2656] McMillicancuddy's Farm
Encounter: scorched duck
You lose 1 hit point
Round 1: Haroldine casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!
Round 2: scorched duck takes 314 damage.
Round 2: Haroldine wins the fight!
You gain 247 Meat
You acquire an item: flaming feather
After Battle: Madame Ruby lights a stick of sage and her aura changes from blue to orange. "There is a strong possibility that a strong spirit resides in this place!" she says, almost in a trance.
After Battle: Madame Ruby gazes deep into your eyes. "In a past life, you were the Marquis of Stumprubbleshire," she says, smiling widely. (+9 Stats)
You gain 30 Muscleboundness
You gain 16 Mysteriousness
You gain 19 Sarcasm
Round 0: Haroldine casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!

Okay, I tried a Dreadsyvania Bear. I hit Lunging button once and got this:

[2657] Dreadsylvanian Woods
Encounter: Lewd Playing Cards of The Bear
You lose 1 hit point
Round 1: Madame Ruby takes a pull on the hookah, and immediately goes into a coughing fit, blowing a cloud of smoke in your face. Since this is magic smoke, instead of giving you cancer (or, perhaps in addition to giving you cancer), it gives you an effect:
You acquire an effect: Smoky Third Eye (duration: 6 Adventures)
Round 3: sleaze bugbear takes 10 damage.
You lose 1 hit point
Round 3: sleaze bugbear takes 2 damage.
Round 3: sleaze bugbear takes 14 damage.
You lose 50 hit points
Round 3: Haroldine casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 4 but KoL thinks it is round 3
Round 4: sleaze bugbear takes 105 damage.
You lose 1 hit point
Round 4: sleaze bugbear takes 3 damage.
Round 4: sleaze bugbear takes 6 damage.
You lose 51 hit points

So yeah, for whatever reason, hitting the button casts Lunging twice even if the monster dies in one hit. Unfortunately, I can't refresh the relay browser screen to see how much damage this guy really has.

I tried the pull-down skill menu and that cast Lunging once, so now I'm wondering if it's as simple as not using the buttons on the top. I'll have to do more adventuring and report back.

Bale

Minion
I can think of one more thing that may give a clue to troubleshoot this.

1. Turn on debug logging. (Help -> Start Debug Log)
  2. Have a fight that demonstrates this problem.
  3. Turn off debug logging. (Help -> Stop Debug Log)
  4. Post the debug log in this thread so someone can look for a clue.

Bale

Minion
It will be in your KoLmafia directory. The name will be something like DEBUG_20140604.txt

Magus_Prime

Quoting myself from the G-D thread

So combat is actually over, but the browser doesn't load to indicate that, and it still accepts input for the fight (which KoL then uses to send you to the main map, since that shouldn't happen). You can watch the CLI while adventuring to see if this fits.

I've seen this in multiple builds recently. I can't reliably reproduce it though.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If it's something specific to mafia's combat buttons, then my use of KoL's CAB means I won't see it through normal play.

Magus_Prime

I do use mafia's combat buttons so that may be the culprit. When it happens I can normally restore expected behavior by restarting mafia and the browser. The next time it happens I'll shift to KoL's CAB and see if the problem continues.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I've used KoLmafia's stationary buttons from the beginning. I've never seen anything like that.