Bug - Not A Bug SVN server down?

Gemlad

Hi,

Probably in the wrong forum but it seemed the best place to put it!
Build 13936 and 13935.

When I log in with the 'update installed SVN projects on login' checked, I'm getting the error
"svn: E175002: connection refused by the server"

When trying to adventure with BestBetweenBattle script, KolMafia hangs when trying to update Zlib.

Also, https://sourceforge.net/p/kolmafia/code/HEAD/tree/ is not responding!

Hopefully this isn't anything too major :/

Thanks,
Gem

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
When trying to adventure with BestBetweenBattle script, KolMafia hangs when trying to update Zlib.

I'm having similar problems, including getting a page from SF to load completely in a browser. However the point that scripts are hanging is a bit of a concern. I have wondered whether script writers who choose to override my setting about checking for updates, or not, were doing me a service and it seems as in this case the answer is No. At least I know what I have to edit until SF is back.

Crowther

My workaround was to add "127.0.0.1 svn.code.sf.net" to my hosts file and disable SVN checking in UR.

T_E

Hello... I am having the same issue as posted above (KolMafia hangs when trying to update Zlib- I am receiving "svn: E175002: SSL peer shut down incorrectly" and "svn: E175002: connection refused by the server" messages in the CLI as well) and I am not understanding how to carry out that workaround. Would someone be able to provide a bit more detailed instructions? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The results of this make me wonder if mafia would be better if scripts were incapable of self-updating. Preventing it from being done with cli_execute() probably isn't worth the hassle though...

Gemlad

Tweet from @Sfnet_ops a few minutes ago :
SourceForge's network provider is currently experiencing connectivity routes with poor or inoperable performance. This will be fixed ASAP.

Terion

I am not understanding how to carry out that workaround. Would someone be able to provide a bit more detailed instructions? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

First, you'll want to find your hosts file on your computer. On a Windows computer, the directory path will probably be something like C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.

Open the file with the name "hosts" with a text editor of your choice. (Notepad works fine on a Windows machine.)

Add the following line to the end of the text in the file:
127.0.0.1 svn.code.sf.net

Save the file.

Now load up Mafia. What I did, before logging in, was go to General -> Preferences, selected the SVN category at the bottom of the list, and unchecked Update installed SVN projects on login. I'm not sure if this was necessary, since the updates should simply fail anyway due to the change in the hosts file, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. Log into Mafia and you should be good.

What you've done, by changing the hosts file, is essentially tell your computer that any requests to the SVN page of Sourceforge (svn.code.sf.net) should be directed to your local computer, instead of out onto the internet. This will cause them to immediately fail, allowing Mafia to continue, instead of having the request hang somewhere along the path to Sourceforge. Once Sourceforge is operating normally, you'll want to take that line back out of the hosts file, so your SVN projects can update again.

Last edited:

SaucySam

First, you'll want to find your hosts file on your computer. On a Windows computer, the directory path will probably be something like C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.

Open the file with the name "hosts" with a text editor of your choice. (Notepad works fine on a Windows machine.)

Add the following line to the end of the text in the file:
127.0.0.1 svn.code.sf.net

Save the file.

Now load up Mafia. What I did, before logging in, was go to General -> Preferences, selected the SVN category at the bottom of the list, and unchecked Update installed SVN projects on login. I'm not sure if this was necessary, since the updates should simply fail anyway due to the change in the hosts file, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. Log into Mafia and you should be good.

What you've done, by changing the hosts file, is essentially tell your computer that any requests to the SVN page of Sourceforge (svn.code.sf.net) should be directed to your local computer, instead of out onto the internet. This will cause them to immediately fail, allowing Mafia to continue, instead of having the request hang somewhere along the path to Sourceforge. Once Sourceforge is operating normally, you'll want to take that line back out of the hosts file, so your SVN projects can update again.

Thank you! I know I didn't ask the question, but this helped me too.

Gemlad

Thanks all for the workaround! Sourceforge seems to be back up now, so fingers crossed it's at full capacity again.