Unknown browser bug

Theraze

So it looks like you have a couple steps here, if you really want to fix it. Or at least figure out what's messing you up.

Start by, with mafia fully closed, following Apple's instructions to see which ports are open. From http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10793. Check if it sees 60080 as in use already... if it does, great! That's what you're experiencing, so it SHOULD see it already being used.

Once you verify that it IS officially being used (or you can skip straight here, but I like to work methodically through steps when possible to verify that I'm not missing something obvious), you can try to figure out which program is messing you up. Following the steps from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4421633/who-is-listening-on-a-given-tcp-port-on-mac-os-x, you're basically going to run either this:
sudo lsof -iTCP:60080 -sTCP:LISTEN
or this:
sudo lsof -n -i4TCP:60080 | grep LISTEN

The top one is for Mountain Lion or newer, the bottom is supposed to work for older OS X. Anyways, once you know which program is messing you up, you can try to resolve that. For example, if you've told your torrent program to listen to port 60080, change it to something else. But you won't know unless you either check each program individually, or use something like that to scan for which process has hooked the port.

Ok, I started scanning my ports about 20 minutes ago and so far only 8-9 have been "scanned". I'll let it run all night and see what it comes up with in the morning :) Also, I have no idea whatsoever where to enter those commands to make stuff happen :(

EDIT: This is what I have so far:

Open TCP Port: 21 ftp
Open TCP Port: 53 domain
Open TCP Port: 139 netbios-ssn
Open TCP Port: 445 microsoft-ds
Open TCP Port: 548 afpovertcp
Open TCP Port: 554 rtsp
Open TCP Port: 5009 winfs
Open TCP Port: 7070 arcp
Open TCP Port: 10000 ndmp

Darzil

Developer
I'm on a mac so I don't run any anti-virus software. I just opened the box, connected to the internet and here I am :)
Ah, security by obscurity! Fortunately you probably have a firewall in your router these days.

Mac has a lot fewer viruses written to attack it, as it is less common, but it is likely to be attacked more in future (since research has shown the mac users spend more money, there is more to be gained by hacking them). Mac O/S was intrinsically more secure than older Windows versions by architecture, but arguably that is reversed since Windows 7. There used be a recommendation that you use anti-virus on Macs on their support pages, but marketing had it taken off. There was a big stink about it at the time.

Ok, I started scanning my ports about 20 minutes ago and so far only 8-9 have been "scanned". I'll let it run all night and see what it comes up with in the morning :) Also, I have no idea whatsoever where to enter those commands to make stuff happen :(

EDIT: This is what I have so far:

Well.... 6 hours later and I get the words "complete" added.

Port Scan has started…

Port Scanning host: 98.249.2.226

Port Scan has completed…

Theraze

Well, try the sudo lines, specifically the top one. See if you can figure out what's got its claws into that port, and if you can release it. Hopefully. Unless you're really really unlucky and some program has just decided that 60080 should be its standard port for everything and you can't stop that.

If nothing officially has it stuck, the 'next step' if you actually care about this is to compile your own copy of mafia and change the two lines in src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/webui/RelayServer.ash from 60080 to 60081 and everything should just work for you then. But we can cross that workaround bridge when we get there. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Port Scanning host: 98.249.2.226
Why did you use your network address rather than 127.0.0.1? You just asked it to scan your Airport Extreme router.

Port Scan has completed…
This says that your router is listening on all of those ports. Do they tunnel through there to get to your Mac? Almost certainly not. If you are curious, you'd do a port scan on the IP address that your router has assigned to your Mac. Probably 10.0.1.2 or something of the sort.

However, that really shouldn't have anything to do with your issue. As I said, you are interested in 127.0.0.1, which is where KoLmafia will bind and listen for the Relay Browser.

And to be honest, I think this is a red herring, anyway; if some other program is binding to 60080, KoLmafia will automatically bind to 60081.

Last edited:
/me sticks his head in an oven...

Am I the only one here that feels completely useless?!? Why out of all of us do I, the least knowledgeable have access to this computer! This is like some passenger trying to land a plane while the guys in the ATC tower tell him what to do not to crash. I would give anything to have one of you here for just 5 minutes :(

EDIT: Also, to get my IP address I just googled "what's my IP address and it told me Your public IP address is 98.249.2.226

And done :)

Port Scan has started…

Port Scanning host: 127.0.0.1

Open TCP Port: 631 ipp
Open TCP Port: 3689 daap
Open TCP Port: 4750 ssad
Open TCP Port: 17500
Open TCP Port: 26164
Open TCP Port: 54025
Port Scan has completed…

So let's pretend I know what this means... ok, that was fun. back to the real world, what does this mean? ssad probably stands for something but I have no idea what.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, it will let me pretend I know a little more than I actually do about mafia if I can pull it off so sure :D

EDIT: Wait.... that's it? Just:

1. Install the appropriate developer tools for your version of MacOSX from the Mac Dev Center (http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/mac/index.action) or from your original OS install disks.
Alright, I'm signed up as an Apple Developer now so now to get the tools...

2. Open a new terminal window and navigate to the directory to which you wish to create kolmafia (e.g. cd ~/Projects, or some similar directory)

3. Connect to the SVN server and download the source code for the Mafia Project. (svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/kolmafia/code/ kolmafia )

4. Compile kolmafia with Ant (cd kolmafia && ant jarbundler) (use ant daily jarbundler after the initial install to update kol and build in one step) copy the application to your preferred location: (cp ./dist/KoLMafia.app /Applications)

and I'm done?!? There has to be a catch....

EDIT: Ok, I just installed the new "update" from Apple on the laptop. Time to get busy with this thing :D

Is this what I needed? I have it downloading now and it says 20 minutes so I'm on hold for now but it looks like I'm on my way!!!

Update: Step one is completed! Everything from Apple is downloaded, updated and ready to go.

Sadly it's time for a break, I have to run to Lowes for some paint for our basement so I'll be back in about 45 minutes and will take this part down and start on step 2 :D

Last edited: