Bug - Fixed Hair oil actually gives the KOLHS Slicked-Back Do effect, not the AOSP effect

Bale

Minion
It's a KoL bug. There are two effects with the same name.

Jick said that since one is an intrinsic (apparently intrinsics are different from effects to him) there is no need to correct that. This was said on a radio show.

In other words, we need to deal with it.

Theraze

So would the long term fix be changing intrinsics to their own class type, since apparently KoL does something similar and more of these may crop up in the future?

digitrev

That sounds reasonable, but it seems like special handling will be needed for the gene tonics, since the intrinsic and the effect do not stack (according to GD on the KoL forums).

Cool12309

Jick said that since one is an intrinsic (apparently intrinsics are different from effects to him) there is no need to correct that. This was said on a radio show.

In other words, we need to deal with it.

Oh my god... please tell me you're joking? That is so unbelievably stupid, and coming from Jick... ugh.

Bale

Minion
He's not joking. It's just another way that this somewhat underpowered IotM is underpowered. It's like he's feeling powercreep-shy after what he did with Smiths.

Winterbay

He's not joking. It's just another way that In underpowered IotM is underpowered. It's like he's feeling powercreep-shy after what he did with Smiths.

In what way is an intrinsic from one challenge path and one effect from a skill in another in any way related to an IotM?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I'm pretty sure no special handling will be needed in this regard for the latest IotM. I also don't know that splitting up effects and intrinsics would help much, since as far as modifiers are concerned even something like a shirt and an effect with the same name would require special handling.

As for Slicked-Back Do, I think I have some code ready that will distinguish which modifier to apply when you have the effect at least. The best option for not having confusion over acquiring the effect might be to remove that bit from statuseffects.txt. Actually, hair oil is listed for both effects there, but I doubt removing it from the second one will fix anything on its own.