New Content - Implemented Familiars of the Year

Bale

Minion
Bale, has the both parent percents been spaded? I've heard a hypothesis different from yours, but I believe yours is most likely correct. Some have said that Greed would be no more likely than Gluttony for both parents in your example. I don't have enough stats to compute that, but KoL usually takes the path of least coding resistance and eliminating dups requires more code.

I'm pretty sure mine is correct, but I cannot be 100% positive. So far I've mostly spaded with my extra materials while mastering crafting. It's just something I've played with for a few days here and there between ascensions.

Winterbay

I'm getting interesting problems with the latest version of Chit since, for some obscure reason, my version of Mafia (r16680) seems to be missing the Grim Brother familiar while the familiar item (praying grim brother) exists just fine. Have I broken something or has something else broken?

Bale

Minion
Why do you mean about your version of mafia missing the familiar? How does it miss the familiar?

Winterbay

Well. Doing "ash $familiar[grim brother]" gives an error that no such familiar exists. Going to the internal database under help lists the familiar hatchling under "items" but no grim brother under " familars".

Winterbay

Code:
[COLOR=olive]> ash $familiar[grim brother][/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Bad      familiar value: "grim brother" ()[/COLOR]
Returned: void
That's what I get at this moment in r13680...

Darzil

Developer
Code:
[COLOR=olive]> ash $familiar[grim brother][/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Bad      familiar value: "grim brother" ()[/COLOR]
Returned: void
That's what I get at this moment in r13680...

What do you get in a clean install? I'm on the same version, and have the same as Veracity (only with a name, as I have one).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I assume that your gCLI tells you that it loaded a familiars.txt override file from your data directory. Get rid of it.

> update clear

What do you get in a clean install? I'm on the same version, and have the same as Veracity (only with a name, as I have one).
I have one, too, but I ran that command not-logged-in. :)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The dowsing rod now gives 3% desert exploration even when not hydrated. I'll change that when I'm at a computer if no one gets to it before then.

Winterbay

I assume that your gCLI tells you that it loaded a familiars.txt override file from your data directory. Get rid of it.

> update clear

That was indeed it. I was under the impression that we did not create override files that lasted more than a session any longer. What did I do to make it stay behind?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
That was indeed it. I was under the impression that we did not create override files that lasted more than a session any longer. What did I do to make it stay behind?
If we detect a new familiar in your terrarium, we enter it into our internal data. It will persist only during this session. We no longer write override files unless the user specifically says to write one. The following commands will do that:

The following will look up familiar images for all known familiars and write familiars.txt:

> checkfamiliars

The following will write out any "new data" we have into override files. I.e., if we have a new familiar in our internal database, it will write familiars.txt. If we have a new item, it will write out items.txt, and perhaps equipment.txt and modifiers.txt.

> newdata
or
> update save

If you had familiars.txt as an override file, you did one of the above three CLI commands.

Winterbay

If we detect a new familiar in your terrarium, we enter it into our internal data. It will persist only during this session. We no longer write override files unless the user specifically says to write one. The following commands will do that:

The following will look up familiar images for all known familiars and write familiars.txt:

> checkfamiliars

The following will write out any "new data" we have into override files. I.e., if we have a new familiar in our internal database, it will write familiars.txt. If we have a new item, it will write out items.txt, and perhaps equipment.txt and modifiers.txt.

> newdata
or
> update save

If you had familiars.txt as an override file, you did one of the above three CLI commands.

As far as I'm aware I've not used any of those commands. Could killing the kolmafia process before it has finished internal cleanup result in this as well?

Oh well. At least I know to look out for thia type of solution in the future as well.

Bale

Minion
Could killing the kolmafia process before it has finished internal cleanup result in this as well?

No. KoLmafia will not write an external file unless you direct it to do so with one of those commands. The internal database Veracity mentions only exists on RAM, not on your hard drive.

Winterbay

Oh well. I still have no idea why the file was created. I do know it was created on the day before Christmas Eve (or at last that was the time stamp on the file) so it's been around for a while :)

Yendor

The element and image for the slippery elm house and quaking aspen house are the wrong way around.

The wolf whistle gives a once-per-combat skill Blow Wolf Whistle (number 7199, image wolfwhistle.gif, 0 MP).

None of the leaderboard rewards are smashable.