Guide

Razorsoup

That's interesting! I installed the Guide script pretty soon after you first released it, and apparently it got stuck at version identifying as 1.0.7.

Mine was stuck at 1.0.13. Deleted and reinstalled and it is now up to date again. All my other scripts seem to be updating correctly and this is at least the second time I've had to delete and reinstall Guide to get it to update. (It was the second time I noticed it wasn't updating, I'm not sure if it ever updated correctly in between those times.) I wonder what's different about Guide that is causing the update process to have trouble. My guess would be that it has something to do with github since Guide is the only script I use that is hosted on github.

Bale

Minion
I'd like to make a feature request. It's a small thing, but I'd find it convenient. The task to "Level to X" for the next level is not a link. I'd find it quite convenient if that task was a link to my primestat's leveling zone. Upper floor of Spookyraven for Myst and Mox, lower floor for Muscle.

A small request, but I really have gotten used to navigating around the kingdom by clicking on my Guide pane.

As long as I'm on the subject of navigating with Guide... Required Items could be a link to the area where you can find that item. I would often use that link.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
As long as I'm on the subject of navigating with Guide... Required Items could be a link to the area where you can find that item. I would often use that link.

You mean hagnk's, right? More seriously, it isn't at all obvious where things like a guitar would link to.

Bale

Minion
You mean hagnk's, right? More seriously, it isn't at all obvious where things like a guitar would link to.

Well, I always make it from a stone banjo if I need one and still have a clover. I usually budget my clovers sufficiently. Though your point is taken. I think though that if it is to point to a useful location that would be the area where the item is most likely to drop from a monster. Ezandora lists that location first in his hints for getting one.

Magus_Prime

Just a few notes:

Guide keeps proper track of desert exploration but doesn't seem to account for the Sneaky Pete black light bulb when calculating turns remaining until 100% explored.

In AOSP Guide keeps reminding me to bring along a familiar. Not possible in the challenge path.

Great script. I use it daily.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Just a few notes:

Guide keeps proper track of desert exploration but doesn't seem to account for the Sneaky Pete black light bulb when calculating turns remaining until 100% explored.

In AOSP Guide keeps reminding me to bring along a familiar. Not possible in the challenge path.

Great script. I use it daily.

That was updated a long time ago. Looks like you need to uninstall and reinstall the script to get some updates.

digitrev

As of KolMafia r13878, I'm getting the following warnings.
Code:
Changing "The Palindome" to "Inside the Palindome" would get rid of this message (relay_guide.ash, line 4152)
Changing "The Palindome" to "Inside the Palindome" would get rid of this message (relay_guide.ash, line 4154)
Changing "the palindome" to "Inside the Palindome" would get rid of this message (relay_guide.ash, line 6903)
Changing "The Palindome" to "Inside the Palindome" would get rid of this message (relay_guide.ash, line 7809)

elpasi

Thanks for the beautiful and really useful tool. It's helped me get some far more decent ascensions than usual.

One thing I have noticed, can oil peak mention the fact that acquiring dress pants is a method to speed up reducing the pressure? For softcore, it's a decent pull, and for hardcore if you have enough +item you can get them to drop with a small amount of effort.

Thanks.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
One thing I have noticed, can oil peak mention the fact that acquiring dress pants is a method to speed up reducing the pressure? For softcore, it's a decent pull, and for hardcore if you have enough +item you can get them to drop with a small amount of effort.

As long as it doesn't sit there taking up space with +100 ML on. Or possibly at +50 ML, where it only saves 1 turn.

Ezandora

I'd like to make a feature request. It's a small thing, but I'd find it convenient. The task to "Level to X" for the next level is not a link. I'd find it quite convenient if that task was a link to my primestat's leveling zone. Upper floor of Spookyraven for Myst and Mox, lower floor for Muscle.
Leveling is blank because I do not understand it very well. There's many options (cave bars, spookyraven, stardust, scaling monsters, high school, infinite ML, class act 2) and which one you use is heavily situational and path-dependent. Plus they're planning to revamp spookyraven and possibly change how stats are given out, which will change things.

But... sure, why not? It now links to the relevant spookyraven areas if they're open.

Actually, that task is rather tall for such short text. I thought about switching it to the mini-adventurer class images? But player avatars look better.

Added a bunch of required items links. Guitar won't have a link because guitars have many options. Ideally I'd like to have each quest task mention the tower/gate items you need to get, if they're available there. But there's a lot of complication there, so I haven't.

That was updated a long time ago. Looks like you need to uninstall and reinstall the script to get some updates.
I've been trying to reproduce this myself. So far I can induce one type of update bug, but not the other that's been reported. Still more testing to try.

As of KolMafia r13878, I'm getting the following warnings.
Fixed.

It'll remind you to equip dress pants if you have them and are under 100ML.

As for acquiring them... Dress pants are a 5% drop from a eight monster zone. Only realistic way to acquire them in HC is a yellow ray. It doesn't feel like a solid suggestion, in that case? Lots of swing, and I feel as though you'd rather yellow ray for mohawk wig or amulet at level ten, which is right next door and saves more turns.

But in softcore, I added a pull note to the quest if you're under 50ML, where it'll save either twenty-four or four turns as a lazy pull, or twenty-five or six to four in Chicago. Not everyone can or wants to handle lots of ML, after all.

Bale

Minion
I didn't really think you'd add all those links for me~ Thank you~!

That'll save me a lot of clicks. I really hope nobody else gets annoyed by them.

Ideally I'd like to have each quest task mention the tower/gate items you need to get, if they're available there. But there's a lot of complication there, so I haven't.

That would be a very helpful feature that would save me from a failure of attention, especially as Pete where I have a gajillion runaways I might use to skip over the monster that drops an item I need. I actually made that mistake on a previous run where I didn't realize I needed a Knob Goblin firecracker, but I ran away from almost every monster in the Outskirts of the Knob. Ouch.

Actually, that task is rather tall for such short text. I thought about switching it to the mini-adventurer class images? But player avatars look better.

I agree.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Bug report. At revision 134. Easiest just to show you:

fOJKq5r.png

Bale

Minion
I'd like to ask for help from Ezandora and others who understand CSS/Javascript better than I. Can you think of any way to change game.ash so that the size of the frames are determined by the size of the users screen resolution?

I'm aware of @media queries, but they do not seem to work with framesets. I've seen it explained that javascript can modify framesets. Also media queries can be used with javascript. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to make that advice work for me. :(

I already have a game.ash override which I use so that I have a frame for Guide while I play, but it doesn't play nice on smaller screens, so I want to make a version that will change the size of the frames to work on screens with a width less than 900 pixels. If anyone wants to see it, I have it here: svn checkout https://guide-frame.googlecode.com/svn/trunk

Please tell me how I can modify that script so that the size of the frames will change on differently sized screens. You might need to give me a specific example because I really don't know much about javascript beyond copying code fragments.

Last edited:

Ezandora

I'd like to ask for help from Ezandora and others who understand CSS/Javascript better than I. Can you think of any way to change game.ash so that the size of the frames are determined by the size of the users screen resolution?

Three ways I can think of:
Easiest way: use a percentage in the frameset's cols. Something like 25%? That's what I'm using for now.
Javascript way: DOM manipulation of the frameset after listening to the window resize event. (or listening to media query events as listed in that link if it's supported? either way, very complicated)
Media query way: Forgo framesets entirely, and instead have a CSS-based layout with embedded iframes for each pane. Have the layout change in response to the media queries. (complicated, not sure how you'd handle users wanting to resize the layout as they can with frames)

I don't know very much about web development, sorry.

Also, I'm working on adding this into Guide itself, as "Install into window." (won't override game.php, so you'll have to run the script once per window) Assuming I can make it robust enough.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
I'm seeing that same bug again. Guide is warning me not to fight Ed because I've got a semi-rare coming up.

Code:
[COLOR="olive"]> ash my_turncount()[/COLOR]

Returned: 653

[COLOR="olive"]> get relayCounters[/COLOR]

771:Semirare window begin:lparen.gif:811:Semirare window end loc=*:rparen.gif

Then I eat a fortune cookie and the warning went away. The bug only strikes when I have a semirare window, not a fortune cookie counter.

Code:
> fc

Last semirare found 42 turns ago (on turn 611) in The Limerick Dungeon

Unexpired counters:
Semirare window begin (118)
Semirare window end (158)

Purchasing fortune cookie (1 @ 40)...
You acquire an item: fortune cookie
You spent 40 Meat
Purchases complete.
You gain 1 Adventure
You gain 1 Fullness
Lucky numbers: 244, 123, 142
Lucky number 244 ignored - too large to be a semirare.

If nothing's adding up, try adding some things up.

> get relayCounters

776:Fortune Cookie:fortune.gif:795:Fortune Cookie:fortune.gif